Home Open Account Help 308 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > 48 hours on the 2nd district of the CNO&TP

Date: 08/15/11 19:48
48 hours on the 2nd district of the CNO&TP
Author: EMBell

Every once in awhile, I have the privilege of being asked to show folks around the NS in Kentucky, and this past weekend, Carmon and Myself spent Two Days doing just that.

A couple of buddies from the Roanoke area had been talking with me about places to shoot on the 2nd district between Danville KY and Oakdale TN, and it worked out where we could go out and spend a couple of days with them shooting. They had given me a list of "must have" shots they wanted, and I think we filled most of those, plus a few more spots well off the beaten path. They had been planning the trip for a couple of months, and I hope they got what they wanted.

We had planned on spending a full 3 days out, but after I lost a fight with a rock pile on Saturday afternoon and tore my knee up (again), I had to sit out Sunday, but we still came away with some good stuff, and I hope they did well on the way home Sunday. Friday and Saturday where both busy for the NS (Saturday we could hardly keep up with all the trains running) and I would up watching a lot more than I did shooting. Friday was a "fish fest" with GE leading EVERY train, but Saturday saw some good EMD action, including a all EMD 111.

I added 17 new images to my Pbase gallery, if you have a few minutes to take a look. http://www.pbase.com/kd4jsl/nscs2eb11

#1 NS 170, Northbound near Dead Ox Hollow KY

#2 Stacks & Shadows..NS 223 at Garlands Bend, South of Tateville KY

#3 Southbound Triple-Crown 251 flies down the valley at Palm Ky, in a slow shutter shot.

E.M. Bell , KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY
Jreb.org NS group

Date: 08/15/11 19:51
Re: 48 hours on the 2nd district of the CNO&TP

#4 NS 143 passes through the massive cut that By-passed tunnel #2 at Kings Mountain KY

#5 NS 111, with a Trio of EMD's, are about to top over at the top of Kings Mountain Ky

E.M. Bell , KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY
Jreb.org NS group

Date: 08/15/11 20:10
Author: mully

Those look very familiar!!! Thanks to you and your lovely bride for being wonderful host we had a great time and I know I look forward to returning.

Gary

Date: 08/15/11 20:58
Author: MacBeau

Some very nice shots. I love it when the Eastern Board gets good stuff like this.
—Mac

Date: 08/16/11 10:32
Author: jmbreitigan

Real nice pictures. Thanks for sharing. Anyone know what that blue is on the track in front of #2603 in photo #4?
John

Date: 08/16/11 15:19
Author: gmojim

Mr Bell is the CNO&TP expert.

gmojim

Date: 08/16/11 17:23

That Blueish, Purple goo is grease from the new fangled, solar powered flange greaser, which is hidden behind the 2nd motor. NS seems to be using a "lighter" grease around here. Its sure not the same as the thick old tar looking stuff, and it seems to get carried and "spread" farther than the old stuff.

E.M. Bell , KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY
Jreb.org NS group

Date: 08/16/11 19:40
Author: mully

EMBell Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That Blueish, Purple goo is grease from the new
> fangled, solar powered flange greaser, which is
> hidden behind the 2nd motor. NS seems to be using
> a "lighter" grease around here. Its sure not the
> same as the thick old tar looking stuff, and it
> seems to get carried and "spread" farther than the
> old stuff.

I was told they are using a soy type material so its good for the envirnment

Gary

Date: 08/17/11 04:41
Author: jmbreitigan

EMBell Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That Blueish, Purple goo is grease from the new
> fangled, solar powered flange greaser, which is
> hidden behind the 2nd motor. NS seems to be using
> a "lighter" grease around here. Its sure not the
> same as the thick old tar looking stuff, and it
> seems to get carried and "spread" farther than the
> old stuff.

Thank you Mr. Bell.
John

Date: 08/17/11 16:53

"Green" grease eh Gary..who would have thunk it?? The stuff usually in those greasers was about a step above crater grease, which is some downright nasty stuff...anyone ever gotten any crater grease on them?? :)

Soy is good for everything I guess, Grease, Gas, Hamburgers....

E.M. Bell , KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY
Jreb.org NS group

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0501 seconds