Home Open Account Help 359 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > CSX/Nicholas, Fayette and G-brier info

Date: 11/06/00 12:26
CSX/Nicholas, Fayette and G-brier info
Author: cameraman

To any CSX fans or employees:

In deep West Virginia, CSX operates the Nicholas, Fayette and Greenbrier, off the C&O at Meadow Creek, WVA. Headquaters is at Rainelle. This was once a joint C&O/NYC, then CSX/Conrail operation.

Does anyone know if they still run trains on the extreme west end from Rainelle, WVA to Swiss? If so any predipitical traffic pattern?

At Swiss they jointed the Conrail and Conrail ran on trackage rights from Swiss to Peters Jct. to reach their own track. How has the Conrail split affected any of these opeartions?

Is the NF&G dispatcher still in Rainelle?

Does MD Cabin still stand at Meadow Creek, WVA?

John Joseph wrote a nice article in the C&O Historical Mag in 1990 but I would like an update. Is John on this board?

Date: 11/06/00 15:37
RE: CSX/Nicholas, Fayette and G-brier info
Author: roadbed

> Does anyone know if they still run trains on the extreme west
> end from Rainelle, WVA to Swiss? If so any predipitical traffic
> pattern?

The line you refer to is the Sewell Valley Subdivision. The track was removed a few years ago between Russ Jct. (Caren Mine) and Peters Jct. Caren mine shut down earlier this year, so all track on this sub above Rainelle is used for car storage and is out of service.

> At Swiss they jointed the Conrail and Conrail ran on trackage
> rights from Swiss to Peters Jct. to reach their own track. How
> has the Conrail split affected any of these opeartions?

When the NF&G was officially dissolved (about the time the above mentioned track was removed) Conrail, now NS, took ownership of the Peters Jct. to Swiss segment, while CSXT recieved the rest.

> Is the NF&G dispatcher still in Rainelle?

No. The former NF&G (G&E, Rupert, and Sewell Valley subdivisions) along with all of the other former C&O West Virginia coal branches are handled by the Jacksonville, FL "BJ" dispatcher.

> Does MD Cabin still stand at Meadow Creek, WVA?

Not to my knowledge.

Date: 11/06/00 16:02
couple of details

Thanks for you reply. I have just a few questions, is Russ Jct Russellville where the line south to Lookout, Medco, Clifftop and Landisburg (as shown on a l966 NG&G map) left heading south?

If so that means the track is missing thru Carnifex and Koontz Tunnels -- is that correct?

Also does NS run today between Swiss Jct and Peters Jct? I thought somewhere along the line I heard something about the CR West Virginia Secondary (which I belive the surrounding CR track to be a part of) was cut back?

Date: 11/06/00 16:13
RE: couple of details
Author: roadbed

> ...is Russ Jct
> Russellville where the line south to Lookout, Medco, Clifftop
> and Landisburg (as shown on a l966 NG&G map) left heading south?

I don't think so. The line you speak of is the former Landisburg Subdivision which also was taken up some time ago. It joined the Sewell Valley Subdivision bewtween Russelville and Nallen. Russ Jct. is beyond (west of) Nallen and is where the Glade Creek Industrial Track diverges to the south.

> If so that means the track is missing thru Carnifex and Koontz
> Tunnels -- is that correct?

Yes.

> Also does NS run today between Swiss Jct and Peters Jct? I
> thought somewhere along the line I heard something about the CR
> West Virginia Secondary (which I belive the surrounding CR
> track to be a part of) was cut back?

The Swiss to Peters Jct. portion was indeed incorporated into the West Virginia Secondary. It's been quite a while since I've been in that area but I recall two mines above Peters Juction. I belive they were Drennan and High Power Mountain, near Summersville. But I have no idea if either of these or any others in the area are still active.

Date: 11/06/00 16:17
RE: couple of details
Author: kntower

High Power Mountain does load trains for NS still, and in fact is shipping coal to the east and south now as well as to the former Conrail territory. Trains heading to the original N&W/Southern use the Princeton-Deepwater District (former Virginian).

KN Tower

Date: 11/06/00 17:07
Is this place in the TT or on the roadfo

If anyone has access to a CR WVA Sec Timetable or better yet a new NS for this area can you look to see is Koontz is listed as a station name? It is listed on the NF&G TT's I have and want to know if on the RR some sign or house track exsits to mark this spot.

My NF&G TT shows it as between Swiss and Peters Jct.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0374 seconds