Home Open Account Help 312 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > How do you get to Sewell, WVA

Date: 11/10/00 09:16
How do you get to Sewell, WVA
Author: cameraman

The Sept. photo in the Mcmillan pub. CSX calendar is a very nice shot of a CSX eastbound at Sewell. WVA on the C&O Business Unit of CSX shot deep in the New River gorge.

What is the best way to get to this location? Is it a hike-in location or do some trails or 4X4 roads exsist?

It it is a hike, how many miles, minutes is it from a known location?

Date: 11/10/00 15:58
RE: How do you get to Sewell, WVA
Author: zars

Sewell, WV is a few miles north (rr west) of Thurmond. The double track CSXT (ex C&O) mainline crosses the New River just north of Sewell at MJ Cabin, making a single track on both sides of the Gorge to Hawks Nest State Park. I don't think the actual town exists any more, it is well inside the New River Gorge National Scenic River park. If there is a road way in, the nearest town is Landisburg, on WV 41, south of US 60 (also the way to Prince, WV on the C&O, and Beckley). However, I would guess that any road will probably be rugged. Babcock State Park is also in this area.

A former narrow gauge railroad once ran from Landisburg and Clifftop (also on 41) to Sewell. Whether this is still intact and/or being used as a road is undetermined.

A former C&O branch line right across the New River from Sewell is now a hiking/biking trail; this might get you within sight of Sewell, but there is no bridge over the river (except for the railroad--which would be trespassing at best, dangerous at worst.)

Date: 11/10/00 18:48
Author: TLM

There is a jeep/hiking trail from Babcock State Park down to Sewell following the right of way of the Mann's Creek RY. It is not open year round and I believe its opening in the spring corresponds with the begining of fishing season, but you dont need a permit or anything to drive it when it is open. I drove it in my 2WD F150 a few years ago and had no trouble, although it made me a bit nervous near the bottom. I would avoid it in the muddy season. It is a narrow guage right of way cut into a very high and steep mountainside and my biggest concern was meeting a vehicle coming the other way because there is no possibility for passing in most places. It sure was fun, exciting and scenic. At the bottom, there are remains of coke ovens etc. beside the CSX right of way, and access to the river. There is a signal on the CSX line, and the bridge over the New is nearby.

There is a very comprehensive book called "West Virginia Narrow Guage Mann's Creek Railway" by Ron Lane and Ted Schnepf that covers the operation of the RY from the 1883 to 1957. It helps make sense of whats there and puts it in historical perspective.

TLM

Date: 11/10/00 19:16
Author: kevins

I've had the pleasure of visiting Sewell many times over the past few years. It is a magical place. The park service road through Babcock State park is the most direct but it is the longest 5 miles you will ever drive and gets pretty hairy when it drops down the mountain to the town. By far the easiest way is to take the very nice road the Nat. Park Serv. put in for river access. Follow Rt9/11 out of Fayetteville on US19 to Cunard and watch for the river access signs. The road heads to riverside directly across from Sewell; there is parking and a restroom there. The road is OK for any car, follow it about 1/4 mile downriver and it ends at the end of the CSX bridge. Of course I could NEVER condone trespassing on RR property, but the locals use the bridge frequently to access the Sewell side of the river to fish. By the way, be aware that the area is "snaky" in the warm season.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0468 seconds