Home Open Account Help 391 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > North Carolina Transportation Museum - NS Heritage

Date: 05/21/12 06:53
North Carolina Transportation Museum - NS Heritage
Author: SI-Tower

I have confirmed with the museum that this event is indeed a go with tickets going on sale in a couple hours. The roundhouse there has 37 bays so it ought to provide a pretty cool setting.
John

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/12 06:53 by SI-Tower.

Date: 05/21/12 07:31
Re: North Carolina Transportation Museum - NS Heritage
Author: sou2601

Glad you're no longer skeptical. :)

Not all of the 37 bays have track anymore, and you're only able to fit a locomotive on every other track (due to clearance as you approach the pit). I learned this lesson very quickly from the many occasions where I've had to do the "Spencer Shuffle," not to mention the fact that ES44AC's & SD70ACE's aren't the shortest locomotives in the world, either. There is enough space between the roundhouse and pit to fit a Pullman heavyweight, so I am 100% confident that the locomotives will fit. However, there are three tracks side-by-side that give access (long/ash pit lead, ramp track, short lead) as well as 2 garden tracks. This gives 4 more useable tracks (not using the ramp track) in addition to any tracks directly in front of the roundhouse itself.

Rest assured that the powers that be are already figuring out exactly where the locomotives will be parked and put on display. Its my understanding that Mr. Thomason himself was at Spencer over the weekend scouting out the place.

I do not think that anyone will be disappointed in the lineups that are presented.

See you all on July 3rd/4th!

-Eric

Date: 05/21/12 15:32
Author: kyutz

I'm also all set to go down there hotel booked and tickets purchased. Spoke to the lady who also works in the gift shop and she said they have alot of great things planned for the event and that no one will be dissapointed. Lot's of different photo areas and everything will be the norm she said. I also signed up for the night photo sessions on the 4th. It's not a cheap trip from PA to NC for me but this seems like a no brainer to get all 20 in one place.

See everyone there.

Date: 05/21/12 17:56
Author: wabash2800

Like I said, if this doesn't make the national news July 4th Weekend, something's wrong.

Date: 05/21/12 17:57
Author: highgreengraphics

I'm coming from Colorado, going to make a few stops along the way, and I am not planning on motel reservations, do those in the know think that is a dumb idea? I do not know how big Spencer is, or what accommodations are there, or if there are other cities nearby. Suggestions? === === = === JLH

Date: 05/21/12 18:03

IMO, it's always bad not to make reservations. You can cancel them if need be, but if there are no vacancies, you'll probably be sleeping in your car.

Date: 05/21/12 18:20
Author: ctillnc

The town of Spencer is microscopic. The adjacent city, Salisbury, has 35,000 people. I-85 is heavily traveled, with many hotels both north and south of Spencer. Greensboro (CSA pop 1.6M) and Charlotte (CSA pop 2.4M) are less than an hour away.

Date: 05/21/12 18:55
Author: sou2601

Salisbury will be your best bet for a hotel. As another person said, Spencer is "microscopic" compared to Salisbury. It legitimately is (was) an old company town in the traditional sense that it was founded around the town itself (the main difference from other company towns being that RR employees owned their homes and businesses weren't RR owned, otherwise the same in many respects).

For lodging and all other aspects, I strongly advise the following website: http://www.visitsalisburync.com/

You MIGHT want to look at booking a hotel. If this event draws the people, rooms might start getting scarce. Also, while the DNC won't be until over a month later, I am 100% sure there will already be plenty of people in town for that event, and I understand that Salisbury's hotels are earmarked for some of the media & security folks and possibly even more.

-Eric

highgreengraphics Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm coming from Colorado, going to make a few
> stops along the way, and I am not planning on
> motel reservations, do those in the know think
> that is a dumb idea? I do not know how big Spencer
> is, or what accommodations are there, or if there
> are other cities nearby. Suggestions? === === =
> === JLH

Date: 05/21/12 19:50
Author: kyutz

I went for a hotel in Lexington as most of the preferred ones I like were more expensive by a bunch or already occupied. Its only like 10 miles or so north of Spencer. If i were coming from CO, I sure as heck would be getting a room, but then again I hate sleeping in cars

Date: 05/21/12 22:30
Author: NYC_L4a

Just bought my ticket. Getting physched already. It might not be mainline steam or 1st gen diesels, but this is gonna be awesome. Years from now this will be stuff of railfan books.

To those coming from out of town, don't be too worried about lodging. The Whole I-85 corridor is awash in hotels/motels from Charlotte to Greensboro. 45 minutes tops either way. Only wild card is NASCAR races.

Date: 05/22/12 06:06
Author: highgreengraphics

Thank you for the input, think I'll start researching motel rooms. I haven't seen where to get tickets for the event yet, or even a schedule of events so one knows what tickets to get. Should one contact the museum? === === = === JLH

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/12 06:18 by highgreengraphics.

Date: 05/22/12 06:20
Author: SI-Tower

> To those coming from out of town, don't be too
> worried about lodging. The Whole I-85 corridor is
> awash in hotels/motels from Charlotte to
> Greensboro. 45 minutes tops either way. Only
> wild card is NASCAR races.

NASCAR is in Kentucky the weekend before and Daytona the weekend after...

Date: 05/22/12 08:54

That means prices will go up too... Like I said, why not book now to be on the safe side and cancel and rebook if need be?

Date: 05/22/12 09:22
Author: JUTower

I'll be there!
-Alex

Date: 05/22/12 09:51
Author: NDHolmes

I saw the announcement last night and didn't even flinch - flights, hotel, car, and event tickets booked as soon as I got home! For those of us living out west, it's great that they're getting all of them together in one place. Otherwise, I don't spend enough time east of the Mississippi to ever get them all (or even more than a handful).

Date: 05/22/12 10:06

I suppose there will be steam there too?

Date: 05/22/12 11:46
Author: Grande-Fan

This is the must see event of the summer!!
Can't wait for this event
Nathan Z.
http://www.nathanzachman.com

Date: 05/22/12 23:56
Author: batterymule7

Man I can't wait to see what's in store. All those units infront of the Roundhouse would be epic. Either way Spencer is a perfect location.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0727 seconds