Home Open Account Help 315 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Turntable needed in Altoona

Date: 02/21/01 20:47
Turntable needed in Altoona
Author: pennsydoc

Hello everyone,
I am looking for any information about the Turntable located in Frankfort IN that was mentioned in prev threads on this subject. Esp length and condition. Thanks in advance for any info or contact persons you provide
Andy Mulhollen
Secretary
Board of Directors
Altoona Railroaders Memorial Museum

Date: 02/21/01 21:50
RE: Turntable needed in Altoona
Author: aheld

Here's one located in Madison, IL. Sorry it's not the one you're looking for.

<a href="http://www.iltransit.com/locomotives.html&quot;&gt;http://www.iltransit.com/locomotives.html&lt;/a&gt;

-andrew

Date: 02/22/01 05:27
Author: lne401

There is a turntable in Pen Argyl, Pennsylvaia. I think it is 90ft long. It was of the former Lehigh and New England.

Date: 02/22/01 08:23
Author: k8dti

The former IC turntable belonging to Paducah & Louisville at Oak Street Yard in Louisville was available last Spring. Who got it if anyone? It was up for donation to anyone who could move it. Not sure of its exact size, but it could turn a big IC 4-8-2.

Date: 02/22/01 08:39
Author: Throttle_JCKY

I doubt NS will get rid of the turntable at Frankfort. It has set unused for several years, but the roundhouse is still there. The pump motor is burnt out (I think that is what I was told) that or either the traction motor itself. The table looks to be in good condition. I would say it is 110' or so. Since the railroad still owns it, you would have to contact NS about it.

Date: 02/22/01 14:23
Author: roadrat

You know, Shuster is not in office anymore... I don't know what you people have planned for a turntable.... Maybe the days of getting wads of money thrown at your feet are over.... Lets get realistic over there....Isn't there one in the old Altoona east yard?.. I took pics of it in '85....Hope you like selling subs....Wasn't the 1361 fiasco enough?...Roadrat..Johnstown, Pa.

Date: 02/22/01 18:45
Author: pennsy1022

Apparently I am not as adept as Mr. Roadrat in reading between the lines. I read and re-read the original posting of this thread by Mr. Mulhollen and I for the life of me can't determine where in it he asked to get lambasted. Asking for some information on an item seems like a failry legitimate and unassuming request to me. I suppose I have my college guiadance counselor to blame. He should have pointed out that I was remiss in taking too many major studies and not enough language arts. Obviously a learned skill that everyone should have.

Date: 02/23/01 04:25
Author: roadrat

The local reputation of the museum preceeds itself... Thats not my fault...The term "Fleecing of America" applies...Again, not my fault....Roadrat

Date: 02/23/01 09:29
Author: skunk

I have a couple of contacts who would know. One is retired from NS. I'll find their email addresses tonight when I get home. I leave the information in your trainorders email box.

Date: 02/23/01 12:42
Author: Throttle_JCKY

There hasn't been anything on the table in several years (likely 10 or so) I know I haven't seen a thing on it in the years I ran in and out of Frankfort. It was fenced in several years ago, the roundhouse was then cleaned out and unused. I don't know the current status of it though. The EPA was looking at Frankfort back in 1997 about the fuel racks and tanks and coal tower, nothing more was ever talked about after that, that I know of. You might try calling NS directly, maybe you can talk to someone in the "Know" about it. I know all of us crews "working and retired" would like to see a museum take the roundhouse and turntable over. Frankfort has a heralded railroad history.

Date: 02/23/01 15:51
Andy check your trainorders email
Author: skunk

Andy: It's me again. Check your trainorders email.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0492 seconds