Home Open Account Help 236 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > trainmaster hit by train

Date: 05/06/01 21:06
trainmaster hit by train
Author: nsengineer

THURSDAY may 3 2001. a trainmaster was helping a georgia train make a set off when he stumbled and fell into another trains engines. he was tossed 18ft. and had 4 broke ribs and a brused lung, broke arm. this all happened at brown which is in chattanooga.tn at debutts yard.

Date: 05/07/01 00:25
RE: trainmaster hit by train
Author: clear-block

i'll take the broken ribs/arm, bruised lung any day after a collision with a train. this guy must have an angel looking after him. most
are not so lucky.

Date: 05/07/01 00:59
Author: ags

Was it Tommy,a trainmaster on the wye.
Or who was it.
Whoever it was I hope that he is ok now.

Date: 05/07/01 04:55
Author: nsrayman

The trainmaster had just made the cut when he was stepping back , when he stumbled , he was in the process of catching himself
fallling when his shoulder was hit by the lead locomotive of the
NS Calhoun Local doing 16 MPH . It could have been much worse
than it was as the Wye is a dangerous place to work. Was it the
fact he was wearing TENNIS SHOES that caused him to stumble ??
who knows at this point but he is doing much better know.

Date: 05/07/01 06:10
Author: elchapman

What was he doing there making a cut? Has NS cut the local jobs down to engineer only? When I worked through there in 97-98 we still had a conductor on the trains. I hope it wasn't TM Seay, he is the only decent trainmaster on the whole NS system.

Date: 05/07/01 13:16
Author: ags

No we swap blocks on the wye,or for trains that bypass the yards,like piggybacks,132,133,197.Just to name a few on the top of my head.So they cut Chattanooga cars off,and add like Atlanta or Florida cars.

Date: 05/07/01 14:05
Author: willobi

The trainmaster injured in this incident was Bill Mount.

Date: 05/07/01 14:42
Author: NS020596

I'm glad he is alright but..... What was he doing out there in tennis shoes? What was he doing out there at all? Is the company going to hold an investigation for the rules violations?

Date: 05/07/01 15:38
Author: vrsfan

As one proud (sort of) to be a union RR'er for the NS, what in the hell was a non-agreement TM doing assisting a train? On top of the fact he was wearing Tennis Shoes I understand? God lord! Glad he's ok, I'm not inhumane, but he's should have stayed in the tower where the mang't belongs.

Date: 05/07/01 18:52
Author: rrguy

was he holding a radar gun when he tripped?

Date: 05/08/01 08:03
Author: TriangleRoute

There is no reason for a TM to be making a cut, or any other thing to do with the makeup, or breakdown of a train. If the railroads thought they needed another man on the ground, they can add a utility job, or put a brakeman back on that train. They need to put a stop to that crap. Im sorry to hear a man was hurt, but, he should never have been working a train in the first place.
TR Savannah Ga

Date: 05/08/01 12:39
banner check
Author: ef-36

Maybe he stumbled as he tried to light a fusee to throw out in front of the other train.

Date: 05/09/01 16:21
You can thank Steamboat Jim...
Author: diddle_e._squat

...obviously he negotiated away many utility brakeman jobs by allowing whatever loophole this TM was using. Without a doubt, there should be a utility brakeman to perform this kind of work, especially if it is a regular occurance.

Great job UTU, once again.

Date: 10/25/16 13:49
Re: You can thank Steamboat Jim...
Author: dcfbalcoS1

I missed where it said he was wearing tennis shoes, where was that part ?  Fortunately he wasn't hurt too bad and maybe he will read here how much some people absolutely do NOT want any management help and he will stand there next time and let you sweat your buns off doing something, whatever it might be until you fall over. Sure wouldn't want anyone to be a nice guy.

Date: 10/25/16 13:58
Author: boomer

I don't want any management help like that, it's my job and I will do it. If it's too much for me to do alone I'll request a brakeman or utility and if not I'll just do what I safely can do in my 12 hours. This is what they want, after all.

Posted from Android

Date: 10/26/16 10:16
Author: TAW

boomer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't want any management help like that, it's
> my job and I will do it. If it's too much for me
> to do alone I'll request a brakeman or utility and
> if not I'll just do what I safely can do in my 12
> hours. This is what they want, after all.

Yes indeed!

As a train dispatcher, it is really hard for a manager to help, except for sometimes in pre-CRT CTC days when busy fingers may be itching to line signals that look to the possessor of the fingers like need to be lined. On occasion, I have offered to write a transfer and go home - only one person will work my territory. If it's going to be you, you don't need me. That would put the fear of God into them (figuratively and literally http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?18,4134890) and they would be instantly gone.

However, on arriving at the office after being called for a wreck, a good Superintendent or Asst Supt (I have worked for some of those) would walk in the door and say what do you need for me to do? (Yes, really!) I would ask for train lists, give him some phone calls, ask him to take some wires (messages/telegrams) to the telegraph office (old school - we would hand write or type messages and take them to the telegraph office by hand). Those things had nothing to do with the control of train movements.

However...helping in train or engine service would seem to be a horse of another color altogether. I knew a road foreman who managed to get himself fired for uh, ...helping a hoghead control his train as prescribed. The engineer was stretch braking a double grain train through a sag in a siding on a generally uphill line. The road foreman told him he was not to stretch brake any more, he needed to learn the new procedures. They were coming up to the red signal at the end of the siding when the road foreman reached over the engineer's shoulder and released the air, saying use dynamic like you're supposed to! The rear end quickly caught up to the almost stopped head end and effectively passed it, propelling the head end past the red signal and the power switch lined for the main. They attempted to discipline the engineer for allowing someone else to handle the controls of the train he was responsible for. The BLE chairman quickly changed their mind before action was taken. However, the road foreman became merely on the road.

In the case of train service, does the helping manager become a utility employee per 49 CFR 218.22 (https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/218.22)? It seems that he is is performing service, not managing. If so, he then becomes subject to Hours of Service and other regulations affecting train service employees.

TAW

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0722 seconds