Home Open Account Help 304 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > AP story on runaway

Date: 05/15/01 13:40
AP story on runaway
Author: goofey

Runaway train with hazardous materials stopped after wild ride
05/15/2001

Associated Press

KENTON, Ohio – A runaway freight train carrying hazardous materials rolled for miles through northwest Ohio today with no one aboard before a CSX official boarded and stopped it, authorities said.

The CSX train of about 37 cars carried some kind of combustible material, the Hancock County Sheriff's Department said. Authorities could not identify the material.

The sheriff's department earlier had said authorities had not been able to make contact with the engineer and initially believed the crew member had suffered a heart attack.

However, Gerlene Draper, a Kenton police dispatcher, said no one was aboard the train.

"No one had a heart attack. There was no one on the train at all," she said. "The brakes just failed."

She said the train was coming from Toledo. Draper did not know where the train had stopped when the brakes failed. Jacksonville, Fla.-based CSX did not immediately return phone calls seeking further detail.

The train had traveled through at least two northwest Ohio counties before a CSX got on and stopped it just southeast of Kenton, about 55 miles northwest of Columbus.

Earlier, Sgt. Shawn Davis, a spokesman for the State Highway Patrol, said authorities would try to stop the train by throwing an emergency switch on the outside of the locomotive that would cut the power.

A dispatcher had said the train, which at one point was clocked at 46 mph, was slowing down because it was moving uphill.

The train's route took it through farm fields and several villages in northwest Ohio, at times running parallel to Interstate 75.

It also ran through downtown Bowling Green, a city of about 29,600, and near Bowling Green State University. Bowling Green is some 50 miles north of Kenton.

"It would have been a disaster if it would've derailed in town," said Sgt. Major Mike Blair of the Wood County sheriff's office.

Authorities had tried to derail the train once near Findlay, said Robert Ruse, the city's safety director.

The Hancock County sheriff's department did not immediately know where the train started.

Date: 05/15/01 14:06
RE: AP story on runaway
Author: skunk

goofey wrote:
>
> > Authorities had tried to derail the train once near Findlay,
> said Robert Ruse, the city's safety director.
>
A little off topic but the attempt to derail the train reminds me of incident when growing up. My folks had gone away on vacation and our bull had got out of the barnyard.

My brother had got my dad's 22 rifle and when the bull seemingly charged him he pulled the trigger. The rifle was a piece of junk that dad kept for sentimental reasons and needless to say it didn't work.
Well, somehow we got the bull back in the fence.

When dad returned he was furious to find out my brother had attempted to shoot the bull. He proceeded to tell my brother that if he had succeeded, he would have be in more trouble than the bull.

CSX Jacksonville: "Like hell you were going to derail that train!"!

But serioulsy, couldn't they just have thrown a switch again the train? I'm curious why they didn't succeed.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0464 seconds