Home Open Account Help 312 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > More news on the CSX runaway

Date: 05/15/01 15:24
More news on the CSX runaway
Author: CGtower

Runaway train was Q367-15, CSXT 8888 as sole power.

Originally, it appeared from the shots that I saw, that the train was drifting under no power, that idea quickly changed when I saw ground footage of a locomotive in at least Run 5 or 6 throttle position racing through towns and grade crossings. The train also did not have an EOT.

CSX cut the loco off of another train (Q636 I think)around Dunkirk, Ohio and chased down the errant train to couple onto the back cars to slow it down. This along with the hill into Kenton, Ohio slowed the train so that a CSX Trainmaster, Jon Hosfeld of Kenton, was able to hop aboard and stop the train. Keep your eyes on the National news as the footage is pretty amazing.

To make matters even more sticky, CSX had operated an Operation Lifesaver special from Columbus to Toledo and was planning on returning to Columbus when the news the runaway reached the Law Enforcement and State Officials on board. Needless to say, they were bused back to Columbus.

Eric

Date: 05/15/01 15:57
RE: More news on the CSX runaway
Author: BrianJennison

Jeeze, does this mean that CSX won't let MicroSoft use THEIR image either? :-)

Date: 05/15/01 15:59
Author: Deshlerrailfan

Will the OLS run out of Willard on Thursday?

Wonder What those MoW workers at Galatea were thinking? Bet I know!

DRF

Date: 05/15/01 16:02
Cops shot at the fuel tank!
Author: KevinD

The ABC news story showed video footage of a cop with a rifle shooting at the fuel tank in an effort to create a leak. He's lucky the bullet didn't deflect right back at him.

Date: 05/15/01 16:05
RE: Cops shot at the fuel tank!
Author: jgmiller

Now there's a genius. Maybe he should have shot the flammable liquid tank cars instead, that would have stopped it too.

Date: 05/15/01 16:06
RE: Cops shot at the fuel tank!
Author: ExceptedTRAK

Did anyone anyone at CSX authorize this?

Date: 05/15/01 16:09
Author: ts1457

Did the train have the brake system charged and brakes released, or was it a engine on a cut out of the yard without air brakes?

Date: 05/15/01 16:23
Author: daveoc1551

WBNS TV in Cols carried this live today. They interviewed a witness that stated that all air lines were disconected when the train stopped????????????

Dave

Date: 05/15/01 16:47
Shooting cops...
Author: CGTower

I belive the cops were trying to shoot the emergency fuel cut off button located along the locomotives side, near the fuel tank. When this button is pressed, it cuts off fuel to the locomotive.

Trust me folks, the idea of an out of control freight train will lead people to do drastic things!

Eric

Date: 05/15/01 18:39
RE: The air lines
Author: cr3317

Its not uncommon for yard jobs to switch with no air and the brakes cut out. This is how you kick cars...

Scott H

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0411 seconds