Home Open Account Help 228 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Dead Western power in Roanoke

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 05/20/01 17:57
Dead Western power in Roanoke
Author: vacentral

I was in the Roanoke area today and decided to pay a visit to the western dead line in the Virginian yard by the Roanoke river. Not being from the Roanoke area I decided to start my tour at the Roanoke Shops. Over their were several locos that were marked for NS but it was covered up. Several C39-8 and C30-7's along with some Conrail units. I heard about this Virginian yard being somewhere near the river so I drove around and finally spotted a couple of yellow UP units from one of the bridges in the area. By the river, there is a park called Smith park. From where I walked down the road( it was closed to cars) I was on one side and the locos were on the other. But as I rounded the curve, the road actually crosses the river. I was admiring all the units. I've lived and fanned Virginia mainly and this is the first time I get to see a SP tunnel Motor, Or a cotton belt loco, or the speed letter of the SP locos, a UP loco, or even a Rio Grande loco. I was simply in heaven. WOW!!! The park was right beside the park and it was about 11AM so not many people stirring on a Sunday. I walked beside the fence looking at these awesome units and wondering that SP, RG FL are not to be anymore. Such beautiful units in a world of Black and White (NS). Of course I was not satisfied at this fence with many trees blocking my view. I found a tree that had reaked havoc on this fence and easily hopped over it. I was not in plain view, so my adventure began. I always have my little 35mm camara that I snap ALOT of pics with and this day was no different. I took a pic of the main unit I want to photo the family lines c30-7. I also got the GP-30 D&RGW and several other SP schemes. I also checked out the cabs in several units, and everything was scrapped. If you ever wanted a piece of history, come here. I didn't take anything but UP's non-complying forms. They were in 1 loco. There are 2 rows Of western power right beside each other and a row of cars beside the inner row. A couple tracks over, were some NS dead locos, like the long slugs, GP-38's high nose from CNO&GP. Also some Conrail units. I spent about 2 hours check out what was there. It was very awesome to see locos that soon will be extinct. For me it was just seeing some of the roads I have never seen before. Check this place out if you can. It's awesome baby...

Date: 05/20/01 19:05
RE: Dead Western power in Roanoke
Author: CSXDash9

Ah, so that little path does cross over the river...I saw the path but we couldn't go down it. How easily visible are the units from the path? I want to get up there in the near future but wasn't sure how easily they were viewed. Thanks

CSXDash9

Date: 05/20/01 19:26
Author: johnny468

fellow foamers please be careful. remember you are trespassing and the little items you take is still r.r. property. don't give us an even badder rap. BE SAFE!!!!!!

Date: 05/20/01 20:13
Author: bnsf

Gentlemen be careful, I was at that Yard about two weeks ago and looked around but I didn't cross the fence because I had heard reports that railroad police like to get people going in there. Just wanted to let you guys know be careful....but it is a pretty site :)

Date: 05/20/01 23:49
Author: RRKen

The poster said all he took was a non-complying form. As an employee, we are not allowed under any circumstances to remove such a tag, and could face fines for same, no matter where the unit was located.

A few years ago a rebuilder in the next suburb was somewhat railfan friendly. We were able to get shots of newly finished units before they arrived on the carrier's property. That was until parts began missing from units they had paid money for. One incident, where the top covers from all the former SD45 engines were stolen. The local photographers lost their welcome on the property, and anyone even slowing down to look were recorded by the police.

More and more, our freedoms are being limited. We watch as slowly, the welcome mat is being pulled under the door. Some of this we have control over. And it is the behavior that people seem to think that abandoned or retired property is a free-for-all.

You may not see it now, but when a few of "your" choice spots become off limits, let's see who wails the most.

RRKen

Date: 05/21/01 07:03
Author: rs36

RRKen wrote:
>
> The poster said all he took was a non-complying form. As an
> employee, we are not allowed under any circumstances to remove
> such a tag, and could face fines for same, no matter where the
> unit was located.
>
Are you talking about the FRA Blue Card in the cab? I've heard that it is a serious offense to remove these from a unit, and believe it was recently discussed in one of the forums I visit.

I can appreciate VC's enthusiasm about seeing foreign road units, however, I do not condone the fence hopping or theivery of RR property. He also might want to be careful of vagrants that may be in the area. They can be nasty, and could possibly rob you of your money and camera.

If you're looking for souvineers of other railroads, I would suggest saving your money, and head to the RR Show at Gaithersburg, MD in November. You can buy almost anything there from books and papers, to a Fairmont motor car. Vendors have items from most any line in the country, and most of the stuff was obtained legally. I heard the RR police busted a clerk there a few years ago for selling CSX ETT's and rule books, but people like this are the exception to the rule.

Date: 05/21/01 08:38
Author: nsrayman

At one time South Yard was full with units from Southern and NW and I was able to get my picture of Southern GP 30 2529 there, never saw it again. Also many many years ago there were long lines of NW GP9`s and GP 18`s and many SR & NW SD 45`s in Radford , Va. They were out in the open and prime for shooting.

Date: 05/21/01 12:20

The small cards that I took were blank. They were in every loco, but each had something on it. I did not dare take something that was a par t of the loco. They were blank UP RR non-complying loco cards. The form had blanks for the unit #, location, date, defect, restrictions, destination, and signature of the inspector. The area is pretty save and you have no fear since there were a lot of other people exercising and fishing.

Date: 05/21/01 12:40
Author: sxloco

Where you were is a damn good place to get run over.
There is a lot of traffic in that yard.
When they stored cabooses there people did live in them.
They would steal the copper pipes to sell.
Watch your back.
Yes, you were trespassing and stealing!

Date: 05/21/01 13:15
Author: aces

The first lesson I learned as a railfan was this:
" Take nothing but pictures - Leave nothing but footprints!"
This credo has stood me in good stead for over fifty years. I recommend to all.

Acs S

Date: 05/21/01 14:39
RE: Railfan behavior
Author: gcw

This is very troubling, because what we have here is an individual who has gleefully admitted to what the railroads would probably consider as trespassing, vandalism and theft. What is worse is that the admission has been posted on a public forum that many railroad employees participate in. Some will probably use it to further justify their beliefs that the average railfan is not to be trusted.

I have been a railfan in Virginia for many years, and I have seen a change in crew attitude towards someone standing near the ROW with a camera. The looks I used to get ranged from friendly to puzzled (why would this guy want to photograph a train?). Now, while I still get an occasional friendly wave, some crews look at me as a potential criminal (which I would be if I trespassed, but it never used to be an issue). I believe the change is partly because of behavior like this.

My statements may seem harsh, and I have hesitated in posting this, but I am tired of the behavior of a selfish few ruining a hobby that many people safely enjoy.

Date: 05/21/01 15:12
RE: Railfan behavior

You said nothing but the truth!!
Would it be considered a federal offence,
on a locomotive with no blue flag protection?

Date: 05/21/01 15:18
we are all criminals

How dare you call me a criminal and a nuisance. 99% of us trespass and you know you do it even if it is not a sign there to remind you. The pieces of paper were under a loco. There are a little mesed up but what the heck. They would have probably have blew into the river. Yes iwas trespassing but you know most of you would have done the same thing to even get a perfect pic of the even the last SP on earth. You cannot say u would not! Some of you are just the bniggest critics and you do the same after you tell someon on here that was wrong and do the next day. We are all trespassers. May be some of you are jealous that YOU got caught. I didn't and took that chance. I am 27 and know what consequences I took. I did not get caught and consider myself lucky. Your only a criminal if you get caught. Some of you might be jealous because the engineers are not waiving at you when you waive at them. I ALWAYS get a wave. Maybe it's were you railfan or maybe its YOU! Some of you old people need to lighten up and live for adventure. Because I did have one yesterday. Thanks

Date: 05/21/01 15:24
blue card

I didn't steal a blue card and do not know what one is. You people are amazing. It not like I took a set of air horns or a no. board. Get a life it is a piece of paper about to become another piece of trash in the the Roanoke River!!!

Date: 05/21/01 15:32
RE: we are all criminals

They are just choo-choos to me.
Work around them all day.
I do know the rules.
Don't care about a pice of paper.
Do care about you getting hurt or killed because you are unsafe.

Date: 05/21/01 15:39
Chocos

I wasn't referring to you but you could be killed at a crossing or even beside the tracks taking a photo. We are unsafe everyday especially in car. This yard in Roanoke is busy but these far tracks are not used at all. These locos have been here for almost a year. The othe side of the track is busy w/ coal cars but 30 locos are not going anywhere for a while.

Date: 05/21/01 15:44
RE: Chocos

I know where you were.
I live five minutes from there.
Be carefull !!!
I'm done.

Date: 05/21/01 23:20
SETTLE DOWN
Author: crazy_nip

you all are blatant hypocrites... if he bragged about stealing airhorns or other tangible things, thats one thing, but all he took was TRASH off of locomotives that will be scrapped... give the guy a break. You have all tresspassed to get pictures, i dont see this as any different

Date: 05/22/01 08:24
RE: SETTLE DOWN
Author: 46m

I'm gonna take sides with crazynip and vacentral on this one. How many of us can say we have never picked up a spike or wire insulator or a train report that was blowing down the tracks? What about putting pennies on the track or spitting on a train from an overpass. geesh guys, lighin up a bit, everyones done something illegal.

Date: 05/22/01 09:37
RE: SETTLE DOWN
Author: gcw

I'll admit that picking up a scrap of paper off the ground is no big deal, although earlier posts indicated that what was taken was more serious than just a piece of trash. I'll leave that part open to interpretation, and not contest whats been said.

As for the trespassing part of it, I will also admit that almost all railfans (myself included) have walked along the tracks in uncongested areas to get a better photo location, or just to look around. But how many of you have climbed a fence in an active yard and boarded railroad equipment without permission?

I may be wrong, but that seems to be far over the line for railfan behavior and far beyond what a railroad company will tolerate.

At any rate, I've noticed that several of the more vocal posters on this board when it comes to this issue have opted to stay out of this discussion, and maybe they are wiser than I am.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0793 seconds