Home Open Account Help 376 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > NS Santa Train at Illiopolis, IL

Date: 12/08/12 16:42
NS Santa Train at Illiopolis, IL
Author: kk2800

After reading on the internet this morning that today was the annual Santa Train for NS employees, families and special guests in Decatur, IL, my wife and I decided to junk our trip to the grocery store in Springfield and decided to drive to a store in Decatur. Since we didn't have any times on the trips, we would just take our chances. Old US 36 follows the tracks from just east of Riverton, IL to Illiopolis. (the Illinois Terminal interurban used to be on the other side of Old 36). After Illiopolis, the tracks are behind fields, but can still be seen all the way to Harristown (just west of Decatur).

Just as we were approaching the old Formosa Plastics plant, we saw a headlight and it was the Santa Train which was about to reverse direction and head back to Decatur.

1) NS 1070 was on the east end of the train
2) Wabash 1189 and CN 6789 from the Monticello Railway Museum were on the west.
3) Behind me was a piece of the Illinois Terminal, sitting in storage.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/12 17:00 by kk2800.

Date: 12/08/12 16:56
Re: NS Santa Train at Illiopolis, IL

We caught up to the train again in Decatur at WABIC, where the NS (WAB) crosses the CN (IC). Here are the passenger cars.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/12 05:28 by kk2800.

Date: 12/08/12 16:59

Lastly CN 6789 and WAB 1189 again.

Thanks for looking,

Ken Kirgan
Springfield, IL

Date: 12/08/12 17:16
Author: Topfuel

The most outstanding thing about this train is that it is actually STEAM HEATED, by real, live steam from a genuine steam generator car. Good job, guys!

Date: 12/08/12 21:04
Author: IC1034

Great shots. Always caught this train in the past but missed it this year due to school.

Lewis M.
Carbondale, IL

Date: 12/09/12 02:16
Author: ClubCar

Topfuel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The most outstanding thing about this train is
> that it is actually STEAM HEATED, by real, live
> steam from a genuine steam generator car. Good
> job, guys!

I am amazed that they are heating this train with steam since steam parts for passenger cars are so hard to find today as I don't think that anyone makes them any more.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0529 seconds