Home Open Account Help 336 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > ns track conditions?

Date: 06/06/01 14:09
ns track conditions?
Author: nsman

Alright. Below this post are several comments about how bad the CSX track is getting.

How is the track on NS today as compared to lets say 10 or 20 years ago? And would you say that the NS or CSX has the better track today.

Date: 06/06/01 14:27
RE: ns track conditions?
Author: elchapman

I have worked for both NS and CSX and I will say NS by far has much better tracks. They keep up with there trackage much better than CSX does. On the CSX Cincy to Toledo line, some of that track is from the 1950's !!!!!

Date: 06/06/01 14:56
Author: rbx551985

NS definitely has better track in most spots than CSX, despite their current financial woes. Track maintenance is one thing NS is known for keeping after, for the most part. The difference is quite noticable at North Collier Yard, VA, where CSX's mainline passes right over top of NS's mainline. I don't know about elsewhere beyond Virginia, but here the difference between how the two companies maintain their tracks is remarkable here.

NS's branchline to West Point, Va. has been known to be in better shape, for example, than CSX's nearby mainlines in the Richmond area that Amtrak operates over. That's astonishing to think about, even noting that the W.P. line is a short route that sees one turn a day, and CSX's mainlines, which are in a different "degree" of service category, are maintained less frequently than NS's.

Does that partially answer your question?

Date: 06/06/01 16:09
Author: DOUGIE

Have any of you guys seen the Southern Tier???

Date: 06/06/01 16:40
Author: nsman

Yes. You have shown an example that I can understand as I know the West Point line well.

Date: 06/07/01 06:55
Author: CSX_Hoghead

There is nothing more exciting than hitting a soft spot or dip in the
tracks travelling at 50 mph!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.027 seconds