Home Open Account Help 351 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Unexpected NS Heritage power on a wet day

Date: 12/11/12 14:38
Unexpected NS Heritage power on a wet day
Author: EMBell

This past Friday morning 12/07/12, I left the house early, headed for Illinois to spend the weekend shooting Santa Trains on the IC, P&W and NS...a weekend chocked full of E and F units. I didn't have to be up there till that evening, and planned on slowly making my way North and do a little exploring on the way..

As I left the house that morning, a Westbound train was going by the front door here at home, but I didn't have a radio on yet. About 10 miles down the road, I heard that train (77J) get a track authority with NYC 1066 leading.. It was still dark and pouring rain, but I headed for Waddy Ky in hopes the sun might be up by the time train got there. 77J made good time and got to Waddy well ahead of the sun, so I cranked up the ISO and did what I could. It was dark, cold and still raining hard as they started in the siding to meet 275, but the slow speed was lucky for me, and I managed a few shots. It was one of those dark, moody mornings that few other folks would have bothered with, but I love that kind of shot, and was very pleased with my results. It never hurts to get a little wet!

After doing all I could do with the 77J, I hit the interstate again and headed on North. After spending a few hours around Huntingburg Indiana, I made a 2 hour pit stop at Centrailia Illinois late in the afternoon. My main goal was to shoot Amtrak and maybe get a few CNIC trains (and accomplished those goals), but I would also have my second ( Unexpected ) heritage encounter. Shortly after getting there, I heard a Westbound NS train call the CN RTC to request a light across the IC diamond. Shortly, a headlight appeared on the NS main, and there was the PRR 8102 on the point! Not satisfied with the crappy shot I got at the diamond, I somehow made my way across town in traffic and beat them to West Centrailia for another shot. This time, the sun popped out for a minute or Two, letting me get what I wanted..

As a buddy of mine often says, "I would rather be lucky than good any day"...and luck was with me for sure!

The whole set can be seen at this link if ya want to look...here are the highlights.. http://www.pbase.com/kd4jsl/ocs12

#1 NS 77j pulls into the siding at East Waddy KY, with the NYC 1066 leading...the sun had yet to show itself, and the rain and fog where in full control.

#2 NYC 1066 just past the firehouse at Waddy, with a little better light and still plenty of rain. My Cannon 50D is simply amazing in low light, and this was shot hand held with ambient light only..

#3 77j at West Waddy, waiting for a good signal as the the rain eased up and the fog started to roll in.

E.M. Bell , KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY
Jreb.org NS group

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/12 15:02 by EMBell.

Date: 12/11/12 14:39
Re: Unexpected NS Heritage power on a wet day

#5 Later in the day, and 200+ miles to the West, PRR 8102 brings a lite power move across the IC diamond at Centrailia Illinois

#6 And...8102 again passing a Manure spreader graveyard at West Centrailia Illinois.

E.M. Bell , KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY
Jreb.org NS group

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/12 15:02 by EMBell.

Date: 12/11/12 15:34
Author: junctiontower

I REALLY like pic two. The headlight effect is awesome!.

Date: 12/11/12 16:04
Author: jmbreitigan

Photo #3 is impressive.
John

Date: 12/11/12 19:42
Author: lapklub

Photo #5 is great, especially with all the old junk in the foreground, it adds a little spice to the shot. You seen to always get some interesting shots. Keep up the good work!
Mike

Date: 12/12/12 04:34
Author: bobwilcox

Very nice work.

Bob Wilcox
Charlottesville, VA
My Flickr Shots

Date: 12/12/12 07:15
Author: Rathole

The top shot just blows me away! VERY good work!!

Date: 12/12/12 13:34

Thanks for the comments folks...nice to know there are some people out there that don't mind seeing something a little different every now and then. RR's run day and night, and in all kinds of weather...so who says they should not be photographed that way!

E.M. Bell , KD4JSL
Salvisa, KY
Jreb.org NS group

Date: 12/13/12 10:31
Author: mully

Great stuff E.M Love the first shot

Gary

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0605 seconds