Home Open Account Help 280 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > 3 Mines, 3 Loaded trains and a Heritage Unit

Date: 12/13/12 18:35
3 Mines, 3 Loaded trains and a Heritage Unit
Author: fireman74

I went out to check the mines today below Waynesburg PA with jmbreitigan. Thanks for the nickle tour John.

#1 We went out to Baily and found a train just about loaded. We waited around and caught him leaving the mine.
#2 His helper set had the Central of Georgia unit.
#3 We then ran over to the Blacksville #2 mine. We also found him finishing up.

Date: 12/13/12 18:39
Re: 3 Mines, 3 Loaded trains and a Heritage Unit

#4 I have never seen a well car with type of bottom. Is there a story with car?
#5 Looking under the train we see the tail end going around the load loop.
#6 While waiting for him to finish we see this fella leaving the Federal Mine.

Date: 12/13/12 18:43

#7 We follow the Blacksville train all the way to Waynesburg and shoot him a few more times.
#8 He is now going around the football field at West Greene HS School.
#9 Not train related but interesting. First thing this morning I found this barn along the road.

Any info or comments would be nice. I don't know the area that well. Thanks for looking.

Date: 12/13/12 19:09
Author: NSTopHat

Image #4 is of a Trinity Alimunator I, also know to fans of NS pre-CR merger as 'Dolly Parton' cars, for obvious reasons. They were built in1991, the year prior to NS buying Bethlehem's BethGon. Initially in dedicated utility service to the then Carolina Power & Light and Duke Power Plants in the Carolinas, workingin true unit trains, then mixed with Southern Silverside and Bethgons. Later in life, they have been mixed into rotary dump pool service.

Russ

Date: 12/13/12 19:20
Author: jmbreitigan

No problem Jay. Glad we got to see something. That early morning air down there was quite brisk. Thought I would add a few to your post.

1. Bailey helpers returning to the Bailey mine with the Central of Georgia up front this time. Early morning frosty air gives a slight blue color cast.

2. CSX# 237 leads 105 loaded cars from the Federal #2 mine northbound on the Waynesburg Southern Branch near Wana Junction. Wana, WV.

3. On this shot we were on Grinnage Run road and saw this partial view of the Waynesburg Southern Branch. We followed N06 from Blacksville #2 mine almost to Waynesburg. Here we are about 400 feet above the track and N06 has just exited White Cottage tunnel and crossed Tunnel road headed northbound. No way to trim any branches as it is very steep.

John

Date: 12/13/12 19:23

Thanks Russ. I have never seen one till today.

Date: 12/13/12 19:37
Author: jmbreitigan

Jay, I almost forgot. Thanks for the dime and penny : )
John

Date: 12/14/12 04:17
Author: calsubd

Great pics from both of you, Thanks, Ed

Date: 12/14/12 04:43
Author: agrafton

Nice series, Early morning frosty air, cool shot.

Date: 12/15/12 08:50
Author: mully

good shot of the top gons, from what I have heard they will be a thing of the past soon

Gary

Date: 12/16/12 18:47
Author: ns1000

GREAT set of pics!!!! Thanks for sharing.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0548 seconds