Home Open Account Help 328 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > RR crewvan driver dies in coal car derailment

Date: 12/15/12 09:21
RR crewvan driver dies in coal car derailment
Author: rbx551985

SEE: http://www.wcyb.com/news/One-dead-after-railroad-accident/-/14590844/17715552/-/3bhin1z/-/index.html

BRIEF TEXT EXCERPT:
"....When the railcar derailed, part of it overturned onto the Windstar. The driver of the Windstar, Jamie Collins, 31, of Baxter, Ky., was transported to Lee Regional Medical Center, where he died later Monday morning (Dec. 10)...."

This hits home for me, as I used to drive crewvans for "Bee Line Co." (along the East Coast for 5+ years), and for PTI out at Radnor Yard in Nashville, TN during 1995. Yes, even contract employees aren't immune from Safety First issues, as this tragedy points out. My prayers for Jamie's family, and those involved on the CSXT train in question.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/12 09:22 by rbx551985.

Date: 12/15/12 09:35
Re: RR crewvan driver dies in coal car derailment
Author: therailnut

I feel sorry for the van drivers family.

I too drive for a van company there is always a thought on my mind where are you going to go if this train jumps the tracks. Another thing that gets me is if I have the rear of van pointed toward the shove. You would never know they were on the ground before they are into you. There is really no place to get away from the tracks.

Date: 12/15/12 09:40
Author: conraildan2

thats why you should always have a way out in every situation you are in. Even when I was a conductor I had the same feeling. I was so intimidated by these heavy pieces of steel going by me and felt like I was trapped in. Of course I always would look around and have an escape plan if something like a derailment happened.

Date: 12/15/12 11:47
Author: SD45X

Always amazes me that the van company never tells them of the possibility. I have told a few, but they change them like underware...

Date: 12/15/12 11:57
Author: RD10747

At Barstow..old yard and new yard... I always told my drivers not to drive
next to or between tracks until the movement stops..we had our
own employees before out side contractors...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/12 11:58 by Agt-Highland.

Date: 12/15/12 18:51
Author: Iceman9747

This is an unfortunate accident. It just blows my mind how many lives are being lost to the railroad (literally) this year. There was a fatality on the C&O last night.

Date: 12/15/12 20:16
Author: P

Iceman9747 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This is an unfortunate accident. It just blows my
> mind how many lives are being lost to the railroad
> (literally) this year. There was a fatality on the
> C&O last night.

Please advise. I have not seen any news on this.

Date: 12/16/12 05:32
Author: ubee1964

Driving a railroad contract van is a thankless job. Pay is close to minimum wage.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0424 seconds