Home Open Account Help 238 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Handful from Harrisburg environs today

Date: 12/15/12 20:01
Handful from Harrisburg environs today
Author: sscannella

Out for a few hours today. Caught Jersey trash on its way to Mingo Jct on 65J at Cove this morning. The former Conrail 80MACS have been relegated to about the stinkiest job on NS, here are 7203 (x-CR 4105) and 7214 (x-CR 4126) far from their intended duties when Conrail purchased them back in 1996.

At Rockville after outbound 11R cleared, inbound 11R came off the Buffalo Line with but 12 cars today (must have missed connections at Binghamton, NY this morning.) 34A from Allentown was waiting at Rockville for both 11Rs to clear before swinging across the bridge to Enola, in addition to it's three -9s, it also had OLS GP 38-2 5303 and mother/slug set 6199/863.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/12 05:15 by sscannella.

Date: 12/15/12 20:07
Re: Handful from Harrisburg environs today

Outbound 11R had to stop at the Harrisburg fuel pad, allowing me to get over to 7th St in Lemoyne. A CSX (ex-CR) SD40-2 was tucked in behind the three NS widecabs with a healthy 134 cars in tow.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/12 05:16 by sscannella.

Date: 12/16/12 03:33
Author: reel_smooth

*** Sigh *** ........... Something about seeing 80Mac's taking out the trash that just seems sacrilegious & depressing.

Date: 12/16/12 03:56
Author: Narr8rdanny

Not to me. They're making money and that's all that matters.
Somebody's gotta haul the trash. :-))

DH
Tampa

reel_smooth Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> *** Sigh *** ........... Something about seeing
> 80Mac's taking out the trash that just seems
> sacrilegious & depressing.

Date: 12/16/12 04:46
Author: 5grump

Be thankful that they're being used in mainline service, considering the mechanical and electrical problems associated with them in the past. Better to see them hauling trash trains, rather than on a 10 car local between Altoona and South Fork. And besides, they are well suited for the trash trains, which can range between 6000-9000 tons loaded, running on the grades of the Pittsburgh Division between Harrisburg and Pittsburgh.

Date: 12/16/12 05:26
Author: jmbreitigan

I have seen a trash train go by in the summer, but never in cooler weather. Is the smell still bad?
John

Date: 12/16/12 07:26
Author: dschlegel

jmbreitigan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have seen a trash train go by in the summer, but
> never in cooler weather. Is the smell still bad?
> John

Yes but not as powerful as on a hot humid August day. The stench seems to dissipate much faster too.

Date: 12/16/12 09:55

Even the empties are rancid. When these guys stop at the Harrisburg fuel pad, the cars sit behind houses on 6th St. in Harrisburg (Susquehanna Twp). I know folks who live there, and they can attest to their stink factor. Heck, I even coached baseball and softball teams at Stabler fields abutting the line at the end of 6th St near Linglestown Rd (right next to Lucknow St, which some folks on here know as a good afternoon photo locale.)...on more than one occasion we had to pause for a few moments to let the stench dissipate, especially if a westbound load would have to hold at the signals at CP-ROCKVILLE....the cars would string back adjacent to the fields. Warm or cold weather, they STINK!!!!

Date: 12/16/12 11:46
Author: JohnnyG

happen to catch one of these trains at the galitzin tunnels.we were standing on the bridge,OMG,such a wonderful smell

Date: 12/16/12 15:07
Author: jmbreitigan

Thank you. Sounds like they stink at any time of year.
John

Date: 12/16/12 17:47
Author: ns1000

SUPER pics!!!! The trash train DEFINITELY stinks anytime during the year.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0605 seconds