Home Open Account Help 334 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Winter Blues in Central Maine

Date: 12/18/12 18:59
Winter Blues in Central Maine
Author: KSmitty

With Saint John's refinery back from routine maintenance the rush of BNSF power into Maine has resumed. ST77, 1 of 2 Pan Am heritage GP9's, has been in the area. After shopping its been held, apparently for a shakedown, at Waterville. And breaking an over month long string of after dark appearances 2 oil trains are set for daytime moves this week, including today's train. Just as the color returns to the rails mother nature has stepped in to give us a run of crappy weather.

Picture 1 - December 13th I raced for Waterville after classes, 77 was perfectly posed with MEC 310 waiting on a shift change. The problem was standard time's quickly fading light, but hey, its heritage, can you really pass it up???

Picture 2 - Taken today, 12/18, about quarter of 4 at Leeds Junction Maine. Having spent the day in cold rain shoveling I decided some lazy photograph was in order. I parked trackside. Grabbed a couple test shots and decided that it would work if I could keep the mirror dry. A couple napkins and a few minutes later I snapped this. BNSF 4511 led 2 BNSF ES44's and MEC 604. 1267's loaded with black gold roll east toward Waterville, and ultimately your local Irving station.

Date: 12/19/12 17:49
Re: Winter Blues in Central Maine
Author: renf

I saw that train of tank cars at the Amtrak depot in Wells, Maine yesterday morning. Is that
oil from North Dakota? Is it refined in Saint Johns or is it exported from Saint Johns?
Thanks

Date: 12/19/12 17:53
Re: Winter Blues in Central Maine
Author: KSmitty

Yessah, Its all Bakken Crude oil from BNSF in North Dakota. Irving is refining it at Saint John, and selling it at the local stations here and in Canada. Thats why I buy my gas at Irving, its Canadian refined American oil, no OPEC or terrorist threats to worry about... And since its railroad transported its the only gasoline that provides its own destination!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0303 seconds