Home Open Account Help 226 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > As Elton John sang..."don't let the sun go down on me."

Date: 04/18/13 18:09
As Elton John sang..."don't let the sun go down on me."
Author: Forever-Railfan-45

Good evening everyone. Left work early to take care of wife's sugar issues and once we got that resolved my wife told me to go get "lost" and enjoy the evening. I then went to Alliance as I was told the Interstate and Jersey Central Lines locomotives might appear before sunset. Off I went as the oldest daughter, nursing student, stayed home with the wife. Was really getting a little nervous as I could hear the aforementioned locomotives calling signals as the sun was starting to set quite quickly.

First picture is of a former Conrail SD60I.
Second picture of 65W with BNSF SD70MAC Cream and Grinstein Green.
Third picture is the 16N that came in weighing 15,000 tons as the signals at Murph (mp74) crashed as 16N approached. Train's engineer voiced his concern about getting restarted from a dead stop.

Date: 04/18/13 18:14
Re: As Elton John sang..."don't let the sun go down on

Last but not least the 65R with the NS 8105 Interstate leading. Lastly the 64R with the NS 1071 Jersey Central Lines leading. Elton John's song "Don't let the sun go down on me" was ringing very loudly thru my head as these two oil trains approached. I was truly blessed by the good Lord above with seeing two Heritage locomotives in less then ten minutes. Best news of the year though is my mother in law's spinal tap came back negative for cancer. :)) My railfan hobby has been a very good outlet for me lately. Hope you all have a great Friday and enjoy the pictures...

Carl

Date: 04/18/13 18:32
Author: mjbobb

Nice catches there! Looks like the CNJ unit got a bath recently.

Date: 04/18/13 18:34
Author: FEC2000

Told you they would pass each other in Alliance! lol Great pics, was way too dark for 65R at Rootstown, video came out nice though! Here is 64R at Rootstown about a half hour before it got to Alliance.

Date: 04/18/13 19:12
Author: Poker2662

mjbobb Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice catches there! Looks like the CNJ unit got a
> bath recently.

Not a bath, but a repaint!

Nice late afternoon pictures Carl.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/13 19:12 by Poker2662.

Date: 04/18/13 19:12
Author: agrafton

Nice catches Carl and Jeff.

Date: 04/19/13 05:22
Author: erie833

Poker2662 Wrote:
------------------------------------------------------
> Not a bath, but a repaint!

Unit was washed at Conway prior to it's helper assignment that brought it to Cleveland. Of course there was some "touch up paint" applied after the bump and grind in Allentown. :)

Carl, nice work pulling out those photos in the fading daylight.
RAD

Posted from Android

Date: 04/19/13 05:31

Thanks Roger; it was quite a task trying to work with the fading light.

Date: 04/19/13 05:53
Author: jmbreitigan

Nice work guys. catching two different heritage units that close together would make anyones day.
John

Date: 04/19/13 11:34
Author: DNRY122

Thanks for the reference to one of my favourite songs by Sir Elton. Back in 1975 I took my daughter to see him perform at Dodger Stadium (we live in California), and he sang "Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me" just as the sun set behind the stadium. The song lives on--some of my favorite singers here in the LA area have "covered" it at "tribute" shows.

Date: 04/19/13 14:42
Author: ns1000

GREAT set of pics!!!! Thanks for sharing.

Date: 04/19/13 18:11
Author: Gateway97

Great set of work and great fortune in that timing! I'm still bummed that I missed the very first meet between Heritage units at CP Scioto last year between the NKP and N&W units. I haven't caught any other meets either, but to be perfectly fair I haven't been pursuing the Heritage units much in the last 6 months.

Date: 04/20/13 05:27
Author: jim6300loco

Great shots1 Send someof those Heritage units here to Eastern Pa.
Jim

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0545 seconds