Home Open Account Help 376 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Portland Maine Railfaning

Date: 05/20/13 16:24
Portland Maine Railfaning
Author: Ianmck425

Hello all, in early June ill be heading to Maine on a family vacation, I'm staying close to Portland,ME and one of the days I would like to go to the city and Railfan for the day. Just wondering the operations in the area and what all I could catch, Any information will help greatly! Thanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/13 17:03 by Ianmck425.

Date: 05/20/13 17:07
Re: Portland Maine Railfaning
Author: boejoe

Not sure what current operations are but once upon a time Rigby Yard south of the city was the big interchange point between Maine Central and Boston & Maine (both are now part of PanAm) I think there's a narrow gauge operation along the waterfront - some of the equipment coming from the Edaville RR in S.Carver Mass when the original operation was sold/downsized. I'm sure other New Englanders who live/visit the area can provide more up-to-date info....

Date: 05/20/13 18:07
Re: Portland Maine Railfaning
Author: pennsy3750

There is dead-end side road off Route 1 in South Portland that overlooks the engine terminal in Rigby Yard. Road job POED usually leaves town behind Amtrak 684. East of Portland, I'm not sure. There are also locals working out of Rigby, but I don't know when they work.

Check out the Maine Narrow Gauge on the Portland waterfront, although I'm not sure if they have a serviceable steam loco right now.

The Wiscasset Waterville & Farmington is worth the trip, its not far from Portland. Ditto the Maine Eastern.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/13 18:10 by pennsy3750.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0348 seconds