Home Open Account Help 211 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > New Logo on CSX 9999


Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2


Date: 07/12/13 10:09
New Logo on CSX 9999
Author: GeorgiaRailfan31602

Hello everyone,

Was allowed to photo the new logo on CSX 9999 fresh from the paint shop in Waycross. Fairly basic but its the first of the business units to receive it. CSX 9992 was in the service center and could be next.

Allan R. Williams Jr.
Valdosta, Georgia




Date: 07/12/13 18:07
Re: New Logo on CSX 9999
Author: garr

Nice photo and access. Has the new logo been put on the side yet?

Question I ponder, Would CSX get more bang for their image/PR buck developing a program to honor their railroad heritage, or continue along the course of adding square brackets and four periods to each side of their locomotives?

Jay



Date: 07/12/13 19:22
Re: New Logo on CSX 9999
Author: GeorgiaRailfan31602

Yes it is fully painted on the sides and rear. As far the heritage goes I dont believe CSX will go that route. I believe they will continue with the brackets and dots.

Allan



Date: 07/12/13 19:39
Re: New Logo on CSX 9999
Author: BaltoJoey

garr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice photo and access. Has the new logo been put
> on the side yet?
>
> Question I ponder, Would CSX get more bang for
> their image/PR buck developing a program to honor
> their railroad heritage, or continue along the
> course of adding square brackets and four periods
> to each side of their locomotives?
>
> Jay

If they did that. They would get blasted on here for being copycats of NS.
I think the only possibility of them doing something with heritage units.
Will be in 2027 when they celebrate their 200th anniversary.

BaltoJoey



Date: 07/12/13 19:40
Re: New Logo on CSX 9999
Author: 1976

I miss the yellow, blue and gray more every time I see this scheme.



Date: 07/12/13 19:43
Re: New Logo on CSX 9999
Author: 1976

BaltoJoey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> garr Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Nice photo and access. Has the new logo been
> put
> > on the side yet?
> >
> > Question I ponder, Would CSX get more bang for
> > their image/PR buck developing a program to
> honor
> > their railroad heritage, or continue along the
> > course of adding square brackets and four
> periods
> > to each side of their locomotives?
> >
> > Jay
>
> If they did that. They would get blasted on here
> for being copycats of NS.
> I think the only possibility of them doing
> something with heritage units.
> Will be in 2027 when they celebrate their 200th
> anniversary.
>
> BaltoJoey


CSX wishes they were NS. And wouldn't that be the 41st anniversary?



Date: 07/12/13 20:03
Re: New Logo on CSX 9999
Author: GeorgiaRailfan31602

Well the way the CSX thinks (and I was told this) is, you can't go forward by looking behind. It sounds like its saying screw the heritage but its not. It is basically putting the business for the company first and the heritage second or third or wherever CSX wants it. I see and understand what the saying means but a railfan's point of view would disagree and not like the view. Im sure somewhere down the line things may change but NS has a railfan friendly CEO in Mr. Mooreman but CSX has a pure businessman at the helm for now.

Allan



Date: 07/12/13 21:32
Re: New Logo on CSX 9999
Author: garr

My thoughts are based on the dollars too. The NS heritage units have not affected me as a fan at all, I live 25 minutes from Austell, yet have not made one trip trackside along any NS line in over two years. However the program has caught the attention of more than a few people.

My thinking is that CSX is spending quite a bit of money putting the forward looking, if you can call a boxcar that, image on units not needing to be fully repainted. Would that same money give them more bang for their buck with some program honoring the companies which were the genesis of the company?

Jay



Date: 07/13/13 11:33
Re: New Logo on CSX 9999
Author: ClubCar

Show me one major shipper on CSX who cares about what color their locomotives are or whether or not they are heritage. When the shippers want something that affects the bottom line for CSX, then and only then will CSX care. Trust me, this is the truth and most of you realize this.



Date: 07/13/13 16:09
Re: New Logo on CSX 9999
Author: ljj

ClubCar Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Show me one major shipper on CSX who cares about
> what color their locomotives are or whether or not
> they are heritage. When the shippers want
> something that affects the bottom line for CSX,
> then and only then will CSX care. Trust me, this
> is the truth and most of you realize this.


Agreed - 100% - but - CSX has more stakeholders out there - the public, governments, press, analysts and even railfans...

Not to say they will or should do a "heritage program" but they have made a big effort to repaint units, put new image forward, etc...



Date: 07/13/13 17:18
Re: New Logo on CSX 9999
Author: BaltoJoey

1976 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> BaltoJoey Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > garr Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > Nice photo and access. Has the new logo been
> > put
> > > on the side yet?
> > >
> > > Question I ponder, Would CSX get more bang
> for
> > > their image/PR buck developing a program to
> > honor
> > > their railroad heritage, or continue along
> the
> > > course of adding square brackets and four
> > periods
> > > to each side of their locomotives?
> > >
> > > Jay
> >
> > If they did that. They would get blasted on
> here
> > for being copycats of NS.
> > I think the only possibility of them doing
> > something with heritage units.
> > Will be in 2027 when they celebrate their 200th
> > anniversary.
> >
> > BaltoJoey
>
>
> CSX wishes they were NS. And wouldn't that be the
> 41st anniversary?

The Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Company was incorporated in 1827.
It was the first common carrier railroad in the United States.
It was also the first railroad to have a published schedule of trains.
1827-2027, TWO HUNDRED YEARS!



Date: 07/13/13 18:40
Re: New Logo on CSX 9999
Author: trainman630

> > Show me one major shipper on CSX who cares
> about
> > what color their locomotives are or whether or
> not
> > they are heritage. When the shippers want
> > something that affects the bottom line for CSX,
> > then and only then will CSX care. Trust me,
> this
> > is the truth and most of you realize this.
>
>
> Agreed - 100% - but - CSX has more stakeholders
> out there - the public, governments, press,
> analysts and even railfans...


Lets see stakeholders; the public worries about horns keeping them awake and trains blocking crossings and safety. The government cares about safety, revenue, and what the railroads can do for them, the press knows less about railroads than the public, analysts, now here is a bunch so unmoved by heritage that their answer to painting the equipment is park it in South Central overnight and the painting will take of itself.

Which leads me to the only group of "stakeholders" that "care" us fans. When you look at how the railfan world treats the CSX do you seriously think they would spend a nickle and invite the heartache to do anything for us? I mean really now?



Date: 07/13/13 20:02
Re: New Logo on CSX 9999
Author: BaltoJoey

trainman630 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > > Show me one major shipper on CSX who cares
> > about
> > > what color their locomotives are or whether
> or
> > not
> > > they are heritage. When the shippers want
> > > something that affects the bottom line for
> CSX,
> > > then and only then will CSX care. Trust me,
> > this
> > > is the truth and most of you realize this.
> >
> >
> > Agreed - 100% - but - CSX has more stakeholders
> > out there - the public, governments, press,
> > analysts and even railfans...
>
>
> Lets see stakeholders; the public worries about
> horns keeping them awake and trains blocking
> crossings and safety. The government cares about
> safety, revenue, and what the railroads can do for
> them, the press knows less about railroads than
> the public, analysts, now here is a bunch so
> unmoved by heritage that their answer to painting
> the equipment is park it in South Central
> overnight and the painting will take of itself.
>
> Which leads me to the only group of "stakeholders"
> that "care" us fans. When you look at how the
> railfan world treats the CSX do you seriously
> think they would spend a nickle and invite the
> heartache to do anything for us? I mean really
> now?


Bravo! Excellent post!!



Date: 07/13/13 21:40
Re: New Logo on CSX 9999
Author: garr

Left out one group, more than likely the main one, for which a heritage program may be of interest, the employees of the acquired railroads that formed CSX.

I hear this "image does not matter" to the shippers or "X" railroad refrain every time someone mentions anything about a heritage program. My counter argument is that the railroads sure do spend a lot of money developing and implementing their images, for example CSX going to the effort to put square brackets and periods around their already established logo or BNSF having how many different paint schemes variations? or UP putting the US flag on its locomotives or NS adding a little horsy in the horizontal lines behind NS. These are examples from just the past 20 years. Yeah, image does not matter.

Jay



BaltoJoey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> trainman630 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > > > Show me one major shipper on CSX who cares
> > > about
> > > > what color their locomotives are or whether
> > or
> > > not
> > > > they are heritage. When the shippers want
> > > > something that affects the bottom line for
> > CSX,
> > > > then and only then will CSX care. Trust
> me,
> > > this
> > > > is the truth and most of you realize this.
> > >
> > >
> > > Agreed - 100% - but - CSX has more
> stakeholders
> > > out there - the public, governments, press,
> > > analysts and even railfans...
> >
> >
> > Lets see stakeholders; the public worries about
> > horns keeping them awake and trains blocking
> > crossings and safety. The government cares
> about
> > safety, revenue, and what the railroads can do
> for
> > them, the press knows less about railroads than
> > the public, analysts, now here is a bunch so
> > unmoved by heritage that their answer to
> painting
> > the equipment is park it in South Central
> > overnight and the painting will take of itself.
> >
> > Which leads me to the only group of
> "stakeholders"
> > that "care" us fans. When you look at how the
> > railfan world treats the CSX do you seriously
> > think they would spend a nickle and invite the
> > heartache to do anything for us? I mean really
> > now?
>
>
> Bravo! Excellent post!!



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/13 21:56 by garr.



Date: 07/13/13 22:56
Re: New Logo on CSX 9999
Author: 1976

BaltoJoey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> The Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Company was
> incorporated in 1827.
> It was the first common carrier railroad in the
> United States.
> It was also the first railroad to have a published
> schedule of trains.
> 1827-2027, TWO HUNDRED YEARS!


Good try. B&O is not CSX. NS just celebrated 30, not 150 or 200 or however old the oldest backwoods one-mile shortline was. Or big boys like NW or SOU. Just 30. I think UP is the only road that can claim a massive number like that.



Date: 07/14/13 11:52
Re: New Logo on CSX 9999
Author: garr

However, CSX is the B&O, as the B&O is part of CSX's corporate DNA. Do not believe it? Ask any lawyer which company would be legally liable if there were any past illegal or civil activities the B&O would be liable for.

As BaltoJoey stated, the B&O was the first common carrier railroad. That is something to celebrate, the B&O was setting the standard 35 years before UP was even a glint in its founders eyes.

Quick check on google shows these larger railroads with the longest surviving operating names. Unfortunately none are close to milestone years, as three just passed milestones;

UP....151
CP....132
FEC...128
KCS...126

Jay




1976 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> BaltoJoey Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> > The Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Company was
> > incorporated in 1827.
> > It was the first common carrier railroad in the
> > United States.
> > It was also the first railroad to have a
> published
> > schedule of trains.
> > 1827-2027, TWO HUNDRED YEARS!
>
>
> Good try. B&O is not CSX. NS just celebrated 30,
> not 150 or 200 or however old the oldest backwoods
> one-mile shortline was. Or big boys like NW or
> SOU. Just 30. I think UP is the only road that can
> claim a massive number like that.



Date: 07/14/13 12:50
Re: New Logo on CSX 9999
Author: 1976

Good grief. You people can think whatever you want. CSX is not 200 years old. I don't care who CSX has in it's family tree, CSX was not around in 1827. Tell you what, you go to the B&O Museum and you make the B&O a nice little birthday cake for its 200th because it's not CSX's 200th. If there's one thing I can't stand, it's people who take things that are clearly not fact and treat them as fact. I must be 500 years old because my great great great great great grandfather's great grandfather was born back then. That's how silly this is.



Date: 07/14/13 16:11
Re: New Logo on CSX 9999
Author: garr

Never said CSX was 200 years old. Its corporate linage goes back to 1827 however. It did not materialize out of pixie dust.

I am by now means an expert in genetics, but I believe you are correct, with the science available today, one could be linked to their ancestors from 500 years ago if there was biological samples available from that far back.

Jay



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/13 16:16 by garr.



Date: 07/14/13 21:20
Re: New Logo on CSX 9999
Author: DoctorThunder

My lineage goes back to Adam, what do I win?



Date: 07/14/13 21:57
Re: New Logo on CSX 9999
Author: BaltoJoey

DoctorThunder Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My lineage goes back to Adam, what do I win?


An apple! LOL



Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2


[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1211 seconds