Home Open Account Help 400 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > What Would Make You Happy in this Hobby?

Date: 02/06/02 08:58
What Would Make You Happy in this Hobby?
Author: jch9596

There's a post on the Amtrak board under this title, though I think it was for the Modelers board. Let's have a little fun. What would make you happy in this hobby?

And to show that we don't have to stick with a little thing like reality, I'd love to have a time machine. I think I'd start in the 70s and hop around from there. I'd loe to see all the deisels I've missed.

But I'd also love to railfan the hosrtlines in the Carolinas.... in the 1960s.

Wking up a little, I'd love to have more time for it and better camera eqipment than I have. One thing I am trying to realize is that one doesn't need a little of variety (i.e. model types, paint schemes, etc.) to have a good photograph. I'm trying to look at all of my railroad shots from a photographer's perspective, not just as an idiot railfan.

Anyone care to join in on this senseless foray?

Joe H.

Date: 02/06/02 09:04
RE: What Would Make You Happy in this Hobby?
Author: ge13031

Our shortline to take off like a big bird. To be able to get our shop built. To get our equipment restored, preserved and under cover. To get our steamer running. A mere 25 million in round numbers ... anyone out there interested?

Date: 02/06/02 09:15
Author: peachfuzz

I'll play this game

Load my gear from today and go back to 1957 and shoot the Virginian RR out of Elmore. Trainmasters and electrics.

Of course, Horseshoe Curve around 1944-1950 would also be nice to see too.

Date: 02/06/02 10:10
Author: ohcr1551

If the time machine is okay, then let me off along the Ohio River at the Bellaire passenger station during World War II. From the platform (42 feet above street level, at least) I could get EM-1s headed to Holloway, Pennsy coal trains going up the river, passenger trains on both roads with any imaginable mix of steam and diesel, and steamboat traffic on the river.
Of course, if you make that World War ONE, the narrow gauge would still be running under the bridge, there would be a lot more river traffic, and a couple of other railroads migght be added to the mix.
(No need to haul along a cooler. Gulla's Hot Dogs would be right down the street...)

--Becky

Date: 02/06/02 11:07
Keep the old schemes
Author: Rathole

I'd really like to see our current railroads keep one unit in a predecessor's paint scheme, just as NS has done with the Southern GP59 #4610. Of course, it might not be practical to go back and do EVERY predecessor, but wouldn't it be nice to see BNSF paint a SD70MAC in the Frisco or CB&Q paint scheme, or UP do a C44 in MP or MKT paint, just to see what might have been?

Date: 02/06/02 11:59
RE: Keep the old schemes
Author: dharris

In addition to all the previous, I'd like to have one of those cherry picker trucks with about a 100' elevation so I could see all of a yard from up above. An ultralight might be nice for that sort of thing, too- except in this day and age I'd probably get shot down for acting suspiciously. Also like to have a scanner that picks up from 50 miles away to give me more time to get places. Winning the lottery would be nice too, so I could retire and do more train chasing. GG1's coming back might be nice...oh well. Back to reality.

dharris

Date: 02/06/02 13:33
Author: CRmac80

Joe,like everyone else,heading back into the past would be great.But to make me happy today?How about a telescope that can see into the future!That way we can know what will happen to that line,or if those units are going to get sold or scrapped,or if a particular company will get merged away.Could save a lot of time and film!As for reality,I want this industry to always be strong-gaining back old and winning new business.In other words,there will always be trains to go watch(and run!)no matter what the power is or what the name on the side will be.A healthy RR industry makes for a happy RAD in this hobby!!!

Date: 02/06/02 15:27
Author: LOCOMOTION

What would make me happy in this hobby?
1.) The return of steam.
2.) No such thing as "fallen flags"...they would all co-exist with today's current roads.
3.) Not having to worry about bums or railroad police when I go trainwatching.
4.) Owning the world's largest HO guage layout with models of every locomotive & car ever made.
5.) More shortlines & regional railroads in existance.
6.) More female locomotive engineers.

-Eddie

Date: 02/06/02 16:17
RE: go to the tracks everyday on a busy mainline
Author: itstrue911

going to the tracks everyday on a busy mainline of a class 1 or even a class 2 like the florida east coast would make me happy in this hobby.

dave

Date: 02/06/02 19:05
Author: canadian_Railfan

I would like to have been alive to see the four rebuilt PA-4's return to service for the Delaware and Hudson in the early 1970's. As well, to have been able to railfan the vast amount of Class 1's in the US in the 1960's and 70's.

One final thought, to have a caboose on the end of every train.

Matt Kai

Date: 02/06/02 19:08
Author: nikonman

The Erie-Lackawanna would still be around. I would have the time and money to 'fan it from one end to the other.

Andy

Date: 02/07/02 13:14
Author: n01jd1

Well, I am a realist. I know I could never go back in time. The railroads are not going to paint "heritage" units or bring back steam or run more trains therefore I have only one thing that would make me REALLY happy. I wish that all of the mutants turn up trackside (some of which are railfans and some are not) would dissappear.

Date: 02/08/02 09:08
Author: rdg484

(Daydreaming) My wife and I sitting across from each other in the air conditioned diner of a crack Reading passenger train, enjoying a pancakes and bacon breakfast with a T-1 4-8-4 up front, occasionally showing itself through the picture window while going around a slight bend on the otherwise straight-as-an-arrow New York Division, with its 70 inch Boxpok drivers spinning at 90 MPH, and its melodious passenger whistle blowing for the occasional grade crossing.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0516 seconds