Home Open Account Help 229 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > "This is CSX Q016...We have a medical emergency."

Date: 03/16/14 19:05
"This is CSX Q016...We have a medical emergency."
Author: cinder

At 7:30 am on March 15, that radio call sent a shiver down my spine. The daylight savings time sun was barely gracing the tops of the Alleghenies when eastbound Q016 called the dispatcher from near Fort Hill just east of Confluence, PA. There was a medical emergency on board and the dispatcher quickly arranged to have an ambulance meet the intermodal train at the Bridge St. crossing in Rockwood.

I decided to delay my breakfast in the popular GI Dayroom Coffee Shop in Meyersdale, PA, instead diverting to Rockwood. I am not an ambulance chaser or ghoulish by nature, but I was curious.

1. The scene at Bridge St. when I arrived. More than one EMT was in the locomotive.

2. The crew member is being attended to in the locomotive cab.

3. Several men walk towards the ambulance.

The dispatcher gave permission to the crew member not needing medical assistance to accompany his cab partner in the ambulance if he wished. Q016 took a 3+ hour delay before a recrew was made.

Date: 03/16/14 19:10
Re: "This is CSX Q016...We have a medical emergency."
Author: cinder

4. U896 was putting away an empty coal train and offered to assist if needed. The coal train units have just run around their train which is in a siding off track 1.

5. The bright morning sun washes the faces of Q016 and U896.

No....I never did learn the nature of the emergency. I certainly hope the crew member is OK.

Date: 03/16/14 20:51
Author: fireman74

I know the EMS crew personally. The patient was in good hands. Hope all is well.

Date: 03/16/14 22:17
Author: JGFuller

DS did the right thing by letting the other crew member accompany.

Date: 03/17/14 00:17
Author: Forever-Railfan-45

About three years back while doing out in mobile patrol vehicle I noticed CSX Q389 stopped by Quaker Square. Also noticed that Akron Fire Medic 4 was on scene. Conductor was transported to the hospital i work at. I offered engineer a ride and he said yes and was very appreciative. Conductor was taken to our ER and eventually the ICU. Made a complete recovery and given clean bill of health few days later. Engineer offered me a cab tour before his cab came later that day but I respectfully declined.
Posted from Android

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/14 05:04 by Forever-Railfan-45.

Date: 03/17/14 03:29
Author: reel_smooth

Is it my imagination or is the right-side windshield broken out? Any chance that they had something come through the glass and hit him?

Date: 03/17/14 03:37
Author: rev66vette

It's not broken.

Date: 03/17/14 04:03
Author: dwi189

reel_smooth Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is it my imagination or is the right-side
> windshield broken out? Any chance that they had
> something come through the glass and hit him?

Windshield is there and intact....You can see a cleaned off portion of the windshield within the sweep arc of the windshield wipers with dirtier portion along the perimeter of the windshield....Dave W

Date: 03/17/14 13:52
Author: ns1000

I LIKE Pic 5!!!

Date: 03/17/14 14:08
Author: Rathole

When I was a dispatcher for MoPac in North Little Rock I had to have an ambulance meet a train near McCrory, Ark to see about an engineer who was doubled up in pain and could not go any further. They took him to the hospital in Wynne, Ark where it was determined he had a kidney stone.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0631 seconds