Home Open Account Help 235 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Another NJ Derailment

Date: 03/30/02 07:06
Another NJ Derailment
Author: Lackawanna484

Conrail reported a Friday morning derailment in Jersey City, at the same location as the derailment earlier in the week. The Star-Ledger says vandalism is suspected, and Federal authorities are expected to investigate. Theft is not suspected as one train was a lumber & mixed freight local, the second one was a garbage train.

A CRSA spokesman said trains in the area stop frequently for signals, so it would be possible for somebody to board the train and disable the braking systems.

Fans who expect to railfan the St Paul's Avenue, lower Croxton, 69th street, CP 5-7 area this weekend may see more security than usual.

Date: 03/30/02 10:09
RE: Another NJ Derailment
Author: Sirsonic

I would doubt the more security issue. The area they are talking about is a well known high crime area on the railroad. If your from North Jersey youve probably heard the CR (Now NS or whoever)PD with their "Hoboken units, train information when your ready..." so they can protect trains as they travel through a bad area. A side note, this portion of the River Line will be abandoned by CR to allow the construction of the Hudson Bergen Light Rail. All trains will use the Northern Running, which will soon be signaled and double tracked, and presumably renamed to the Nothern Branch....

Date: 03/30/02 10:15
RE: Another NJ Derailment
Author: Lackawanna484

Thanks, Sirsonic. I was just reporting what the Ledger wrote, quoting Conrail.

I plan to drive down to the site later today, and see what's going on.

Paul

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0252 seconds