Home Open Account Help 312 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > What is this connector???

Date: 02/18/03 18:37
What is this connector???
Author: bl2

A few Sundays back on an NS GP38 serving as the Raleigh yard switcher I noticed this connector. It is the silver oval one pointed at an angle toward the ground, just below the regular MU plug. Anyone have an idea as too what it is for?

Date: 02/18/03 18:41
Re: What is this connector???
Author: NSDash9

That\'s a jumper cable connection used for jump starting a dead locomotive.

Chris Toth

Date: 02/18/03 19:13
Author: coopernga

The ironic thing is, the old Southern engines that have that jumper are never around when you need them.

Date: 02/18/03 19:17
Author: Throttle_JCKY

Now, some dummy plugs were left in that position too. Also, I have seen many an old Southern unit have those taken out and left as just a dummy.

Date: 02/19/03 01:57
Author: peachfuzz

For a real laugh, just try finding the cable that fits into this.

Much better to wait for the wheel truck and use the welding plant to jump the thing.

Date: 02/19/03 03:25
Author: Throttle_JCKY

In all the years of seeing engines with that, I have only once seen them jumped by the plug.
Trying to find other units with jumpers became tougher. Since they took most of the guts out and just made it a dummy plug.

Date: 02/19/03 08:40
Author: TriangleRoute

Its easier to use heavy duty cables, and jump from battery knife switch to battery knife switch. Just my opinion.
TR
El Centro CA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0243 seconds