Home Open Account Help 332 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Questions on the Indiana Railroad

Date: 08/31/16 19:29
Questions on the Indiana Railroad
Author: Woodman

This is the first time I have written on the Eastern Board, but I have some questions about what the Indiana RR does.  1.  We live along the track on the west side of Greenwood, IN, and usually about 10 PM, very often the train going west stops for half an hour or so, before going on.  why?  The tracks would be clear and nothing is coming this way for miles.  2.  It seems the trains have a schedule, but they seem to seldom make it; several days they will be on time and then either early or late, and some times very late. Why?  Do they have schedules?  Just want to know what is going on if possible, can anyone answer these.

Date: 08/31/16 21:23
Re: Questions on the Indiana Railroad
Author: BigSkyBlue

Is there a quick stop store or fast food restaurant near the tracks where they stop?  Maybe the crew stops for a snack.  BSB 

Date: 09/01/16 04:20
Author: junctiontower

I don't know where you live exactly, but Dixie Siding, of which the south end is at Epler Avenue is the last passing siding until you get to Bloomington, so if there is ANY traffic on that segment of the line, the trains may have to wait.  I believe Dixie is also used to stage southbound trains and wait for a "crew" change, which in most cases will just be an engineer. I'm sure there is some sort of schedule, but you may not be able to set your clock by it.  Beyond that, I can't add much to your question.

Date: 09/01/16 06:31
Author: KingCoal

More than likely the yard crew is doing some switching at the IU tracks just south of West and Raymond.  They will have cars that are going on to CSX Avon Yard.  They keep the northbound train out of their way until they are ready for it.  That northbound train will have cars for SAT Yard and Avon Yard.  So, they need to perform their work before the train arrives.

Date: 09/01/16 12:36
Author: Woodman

Thank for your answers.  There is no quick stop, but that is a great idea.  The train stopped in actually going south, so waiting for clearance at the yard is also out.  Still a mystery.

Date: 09/02/16 06:26
Author: KingCoal

I missed your point of the train being southbound.  There is only one train movement south at about that time each week.  A job goes to Bloomington to switch the plastics company.  They used to switch GE until recently, before the shut down.  Usually, this move is on Wednesday night.  So, the train may have been waiting for the northbound train from Hiawatha Yard to arrive before it could proceed south.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0334 seconds