Home Open Account Help 250 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Heat Restrictions Question

Date: 08/11/03 18:41
Heat Restrictions Question
Author: NSSPIKE

Interesting chart as part of an article in September 2003 issue of Trains, page 22, "Fast Trains On Slow Tracks" on the subject of passenger & freight speed restrictions based on track conditions. The chart titled “U.S. Railroad Heat Restrictions” lists eight major roads and the speeds based on ambient temperatures. For seven of the eight roads listed it indicates track speeds at or above a specific ambient temperature. The one exception is NS. It is listed as NONE.

Surely if NS failed to provide this information to the writer of the article, Bob Johnston, prior to a publishers deadline, one would expect to see “Not Available” listed. So one is lead to believe that there are no heat restrictions on the NS. I am sure there is an explanation for this. I know NS track supervisors ride the rails around here it seams like everyday. I suspect that there is an ambient temperature that if met or exceeded they ride the rails regardless.

A few weeks ago around 4:00pm with an ambient temperature of around 89 degrees I saw rail web readings in the 113 degree range, which I believe is normal for this time of year.

Does anyone with knowledge on this subject care to explain the fact that NONE is listed for NS?
No Guessing Please. Looking for the correct answer. Any MOW or engineering folks that can provide the possible answer please respond.

In advance, Thanks
NSSPIKE

Date: 08/12/03 06:33
Re: Trains.
Author: ExceptedTRAK

Like I\'ve said in previous threads, this month\'s issue of Trains should be skipped. I think the Audit Bureau of Circulations (ABC) and demographic information held by corporation d/b/a Trains magazine dictates more of the content in this magazine than does actual interest in railroad matters.
I\'d Contact Norfolk Southern directly with the heat and rail policy question. Believe it or not, Investor Relations would be a good starting place---they do answer technical questions! Informed investors are good investors.

Date: 08/12/03 07:31
Re: Heat Restrictions Question
Author: rathole

There are no heat restrictions on NS per se. When temperatures reach the point of concern, track supervisors and assistant track supervisors are out in force on the rails looking for problems. This seems to work quite well.

Also, track gangs (tie gangs and smoothing/surfacing gangs among others) issue slow orders wherever their work will be for the next day. Depending on what the temperature is forecast to be, the slow order may be 10 mph or 25 mph for that piece of track. They will generally run until 9 pm (longer in some cases) in the summer to allow things to cool off and to get a few trains over the restriction to settle things back down.

Date: 08/13/03 09:31
Re: Heat Restrictions Question
Author: gmojim

I had the same question. Thanks for asking.

gmojim

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0383 seconds