Home Open Account Help 244 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Springfield, Ohio Question

Date: 12/15/16 18:56
Springfield, Ohio Question
Author: Eagle22

I have a nephew going to school in the Springfield, Ohio area and wondered what railroads pass through. I looked on Google and noticed two rail lines that run parallel to each other going northbound. Can someone please share some info along with types of trains that use the lines?

Thank you.

Date: 12/15/16 19:32
Re: Springfield, Ohio Question
Author: toledopatch

Norfolk Southern and Genesee & Wyoming's Indiana & Ohio are in Springfield. The IORY operates on the former DT&I main line as well as the parallel line, whose ancestry I believe to be NYC and I'm also not sure how often it's used any more. The NS line also is ex-NYC, although east of London it's ex-PRR. It's their route between Columbus, Dayton, and Cincinnati. IORY operates the former DT&I as far south as South Charleston, where it connects to the ex-B&O Midland line, also an IORY property and how nearly all their traffic runs these days.

IORY's traffic is all local origin/destination, including grain, steel (from a mini-mill near Delta, Ohio) and plastic. NS probably runs more than a dozen trains per day, including manifest, grain, steel, and a modest amount of intermodal.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/16 06:00 by toledopatch.

Date: 12/16/16 03:32
Author: howeld

To add to Patch's post.  G&W's Indiana and Ohio has two branches out of Springfield in addition to the DTI between Lima and South Charleston.  The Branch to the North goes to Urbana and West Liberty.  They will receive a unit grain train usually from CSX and split it between the two elevators at Urbana and West Liberty.  The other Branch goes east of town to Mechanicsburg to another elevator that loads unit grain. I don't know if there is any other traffic besides grain.  There is usually something moving on the I&O somewhere near Springfield if you like shortline traffic.  
The NS mainline through town is a quiet zone and they typically move through town quickly.  There is a siding west of town near Enon that is common for meets.  It isn't a super busy railroad.  If you see more than 10 in daylight hours this time of year you are having a good day.  I was working next to the tracks last week in Dayton and 7 NS train passed in 12 hours.   As I type this at 6:30am on Friday there is exactly one train moving EB at Enon showing on ATCS between Columbus and Cincinnati.  

Date: 12/16/16 05:13
Author: jallenp7

In springfield, I&O has two customers one receives Lumber the Other Plastic Pellets, not sure if there any others

They also have Tech II behind Navistar (plastics) Orbis and a warehouse in Urbana

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0466 seconds