Home Open Account Help 335 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Scranton, PA Saturday morning - DL PT98, NS 11Z & 053, NYOW 105

Date: 01/08/17 15:55
Scranton, PA Saturday morning - DL PT98, NS 11Z & 053, NYOW 105
Author: sscannella

While in Scranton Saturday, I made my usual AM tour and got lucky with three moves.  First I stopped by Bridge 60 to see if the Delaware-Lackawanna had a PT98 set up to work east.  I sort of found what I wanted, the previous westbound leg - PT97(X), had made its way back sometime after sunset Friday evening, and was sitting in front of Bridge 60 tower.  I spotted the NYOW GE centercab, # 105, which had recently arrived in Scranton from the SRNJ at Winslow Jct, NJ, was sitting in Steamtown Yard, so I grabbed a couple quick shots of it before heading off in pursuit of NS 11Z.  Hopefully we see this historic piece of equipment restored soon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/17 15:55 by sscannella.

Date: 01/08/17 16:02
Re: Scranton, PA Saturday morning - DL PT98, NS 11Z & 053, NYOW 1

Binghamton, NY to Enola, PA 11Z was starting to drop down Clarks Summit grade, so I headed a mile up the North Scranton Expressway to the old signal bridge at MP 669.5 to grab a shot.  Hearing that the DL PT98 crew had some work to do before departing east, I decided to head down to Davis St. just below Taylor Yard to grab another shot of the 11z before returning to await the PT98's departure.

The 98 crew need to shift out some empties from the previous evening's inbound, which took about an hour or so of work, and they got on the move east out of Scranton with 12 cars and 5 Alcos a little after 10:30

Date: 01/08/17 16:08

I decided to stay with the 98 for just a few locations to the east, seen here at Elmhurst and Moscow.

There was a dimensional extra - NS 053 - on the move south from Binghamton, NY destined for Northumberland, PA, so I decided to head back to Scranton to catch a few views of it before tending to other business in the afternoon.  I followed the same routine as earlier with the NS 11Z, starting at the MP 669.5 signal bridge along the North Scranton Expressway near the Main St. exit.

Date: 01/08/17 16:12

A couple views of the load on the Schnabel car and caboose, and one final look from Davis St. below Taylor Yard.

Date: 01/08/17 16:50
Author: boejoe

sscannella Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> While in Scranton Saturday, I made my usual AM
> tour and got lucky with three moves.  First I
> stopped by Bridge 60 to see if the
> Delaware-Lackawanna had a PT98 set up to work
> east.  I sort of found what I wanted, the
> previous westbound leg - PT97(X), had made its way
> back sometime after sunset Friday evening, and was
> sitting in front of Bridge 60 tower.  I spotted
> the NYOW GE centercab, # 105, which had recently
> arrived in Scranton from the SRNJ at Winslow Jct,
> NJ, was sitting in Steamtown Yard, so I grabbed a
> couple quick shots of it before heading off in
> pursuit of NS 11Z.  Hopefully we see this
> historic piece of equipment restored soon.

Interestingly, the NYO&W Capouse Branch in Scranton operated not far from Steamtown.  It's possible that this GE 44 Tonner had original ties to the Old Woman and not just the colors.  I thought I once read that there were two on the roster and this one is likely one of the original.  Perhaps another T.O. member can provide true information.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/17 16:51 by boejoe.

Date: 01/08/17 16:56
Author: cjvrr

The 44 tonner is most definitely an original O&W unit.  The O&W historical society is the new owner and plans a restoration.

i hope the can get the graffiti off it or paint over it quickly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/17 16:57 by cjvrr.

Date: 01/08/17 16:58
Author: boejoe

Nice shots of the high and wide load.  Mammoet seems to be a global company with Dutch headquarters devoted to heavy lifting specialties in the mining and petrochemical industries.  Their equipment shows up on T.O. every now and then.

Date: 01/08/17 18:07
Author: stevelv

Nice shots Sam despite the weather.   Am really concerned about the idiots mentioned by DL management lately who seem to be ruining it for us all.  Only get back there once or twice per year but if I see one of these assholes doing something stupid I might be inclined to throw a piece of ballast at their camera equipment or better yet at.the side of their head.

Date: 01/08/17 18:22
Author: highgreengraphics

Out of curiosity, what are the concerns of D-L's management regarding railfans? I am likely going there later this year and as usual want to avoid any specific concerns. === === = === JLH

Date: 01/08/17 18:36
Author: Lackawanna484

cjvrr Wrote:
> The 44 tonner is most definitely an original O&W
> unit.  The O&W historical society is the new
> owner and plans a restoration.
>
> i hope the can get the graffiti off it or paint
> over it quickly.

Wikipedia places the sister 104 in Duluth GA.  I believe I saw the NW2 at Arkville a few years ago.

Date: 01/08/17 18:44
Author: stevelv

highgreengraphics Wrote:
> Out of curiosity, what are the concerns of D-L's
> management regarding railfans? I am likely going
> there later this year and as usual want to avoid
> any specific concerns. === === = === JLH

Normal stupid stuff,  Standing in the gauge, Trespassing on RR property including the shop.  Constantly calling dispatcher about operations which are pretty consistant and can be figured out daily with a little patience and observation.  As a responsible railfan you should have no problems.  Do a search here because a few weeks back the actual president of the DL posted to air his grievances but also posted the times of most of the road trains.

Date: 01/08/17 18:47
Author: Lackawanna484

Does the Mount Pocono grain mill still have its own switcher?

Date: 01/08/17 19:49
Author: cjvrr

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
> Does the Mount Pocono grain mill still have its
> own switcher?

Yes.  As of a few months ago it was the same Geep that has been there for years.  

Date: 01/09/17 05:51
Author: SpeederDriver

TO THE RAILFAN COMMUNITY 
The D-L is not anti-railfan!!! With the recent repainting of several of our locomotives, the onset the beautiful fall foliage, combined with the crystal clear blue skies, the D-L has been swarming with railfans. In number of cases railfans are trespassing, harassing D-L employees, and have had a total disregard for safety. There have been fans perched on tie piles, and have been displaying a general disrespect for private property. There was one incident where a few buffs were standing in the gauge in front of Bridge 60 and they were asked to leave and they resorted to calling our conductor an AH and using the F-word.We have also had an influx of phone calls from rail enthusiasts wanting to know what, where and when, a train will be moving. These calls are a huge distraction, especially for the dispatcher who has to put a call on hold to answer an unnecessary phone call on a busy day. Most of the veteran fans know that PT-98 runs Tuesday, Thursdays, and Saturdays, other trains LL-1, and SC-7 run on random days. Therefore if you show up at 8 AM at Bridge 60, and observe from a safe public vantage point, you will see the various trains being made up, and be able to reason what’s up for the day!As most railfans know the D-L is a very active railroad and these men and woman are out there working not playing. The D-L is very accommodating to our respectful and loyal fans, and always will be! There are enough normal hazards in the rail industry, and our employees should not be faced with the burden of protecting individuals that are trespassing on railroad property by standing in the gauge, crossings or making foul comments toward our employees. Veteran buffs please act as a mobile advisory corps and keep the order, which will keep the DL and you safe, and eliminate the necessity of us calling in local authorities to help with this.Most employees at the D-L love trains and our Alco’s, so we understand the big attraction, however, we respectfully ask that you take a second to consider how your actions are affecting the employees, and your own personal safety. Respect the fact that each D-L’s employees’ safety, well-being and general attitude is affected as fans swarm them when they are attempting to do their job efficiently and safely.Take pictures enjoy the newly painted locomotives running through the beautiful rolling hills of NEPA. But PLEASE do it at a safe distance and off railroad property.Thank you to our dedicated and loyal “FANS”. 
“the” Delaware-Lackawanna Management Team 
October 19, 2016

Date: 01/09/17 06:12
Author: m1bprr

sscannella Wrote:
> While in Scranton Saturday, I made my usual AM
> tour and got lucky with three moves.  First I
> stopped by Bridge 60 to see if the
> Delaware-Lackawanna had a PT98 set up to work
> east.  I sort of found what I wanted, the
> previous westbound leg - PT97(X), had made its way
> back sometime after sunset Friday evening, and was
> sitting in front of Bridge 60 tower.  I spotted
> the NYOW GE centercab, # 105, which had recently
> arrived in Scranton from the SRNJ at Winslow Jct,
> NJ, was sitting in Steamtown Yard, so I grabbed a
> couple quick shots of it before heading off in
> pursuit of NS 11Z.  Hopefully we see this
> historic piece of equipment restored soon.

Looks like we were up to the same idea Sam, my pix, actually I was killing time till NS 11z showed up at Taylor, chased it down to Marysville.
Ed K. cp Laurel Run

Date: 01/09/17 15:03
Author: ns1000

Nice pics!!  I like the NS 053 shots!!

Date: 01/09/17 17:07

>
> Looks like we were up to the same idea Sam, my
> pix, actually I was killing time till NS 11z
> showed up at Taylor, chased it down to
> Marysville.
> Ed K. cp Laurel Run

I saw you pulling into Steamtown when I was pulling out.

Date: 09/28/17 17:14
Author: JCA

I am coming to Scranton next Thursday (10/5) and would love some guidance on when, where, and how to find and shoot D-L Alcos

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1073 seconds