Home Open Account Help 302 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > New 6-axle unit for Delaware-Lackawanna

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 01/10/17 09:09
New 6-axle unit for Delaware-Lackawanna
Author: sscannella

Since this has been plastered all over a couple Facebook groups, it's now safe to share here....the DL has purchased former GECX 5000 / former BCOL 707 from GE Erie, and it is currently in transit to Scranton.  A fourth 6-axle Alco/MLW product to soon be plying the rails of the Pocono mountains!

Date: 01/10/17 09:26
Re: New 6-axle unit for Delaware-Lackawanna
Author: callum_out

Good, GE won't be sending it out to the BNSF as a lease unit again! That happened years ago, the unit was supposed to stay
around as I remember Northtown, and it immediately gets put on a stack train and heads for Tacoma. Unit was completely
rebuilt and upgraded by GE and was supposed to be the pilot program for the Mexican railroads. If this has been repeated
two dozen times on Faceplant I apologize, I'm not a member of that.

Out

Date: 01/10/17 10:48
Author: brfriedm

Per the president of Delaware Lackawanna.

Please do not trespass trying to get photos of this new unit and do not call the dispatcher asking when it will be running or where trains are.

Thank You.

Bruce

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/17 15:48 by brfriedm.

Date: 01/10/17 11:40
Author: emd_mrs1

brfriedm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Per the president of Delaware Lackawanna.
>
> Please do not trespass trying to get photos of
> this new unit and do not call the dispactcher
> asking when it will be running or where trains
> are.
>
> Thank You.
>
> Bruce

FAIR TRADE: Park it where it is safe and accessible for good photographs. Call one person and have them post to a facebook group when the unit is going to be operating. Time elapsed about 2 minutes. Sounds like a fair trade to me.

(I dont live anywhere near this railroad, never seen it and doubtfully will, but if you want something you need to be prepared to compromise.)

Michael

Date: 01/10/17 13:44
Author: Bridge60

All we want is for people to act like adults and not interrupt company operations...

Date: 01/10/17 14:37
Author: irhoghead

Bridge60 Wrote:
> All we want is for people to act like adults...

Good luck with that. Too many in this hobby need full time adult supervision.

Date: 01/10/17 15:27
Author: RiverMP21

emd_mrs1 Wrote:

> (I dont live anywhere near this railroad, never
> seen it and doubtfully will, but if you want
> something you need to be prepared to compromise.)

This isn't a negotiation. There is no quid pro quo for Trespassing... It doesn't matter if the engine is new or old, new paint or what, stay off the railroad's property; and stay off the company phones.

Date: 01/10/17 15:31
Author: Lackawanna484

What's the penalty in PA for trespassing on rail road property?

I know Virginia has draconian penalties specific to railroads.

Posted from Android

Date: 01/10/17 15:38
Author: elu34ch

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
> What's the penalty in PA for trespassing on rail road property?
> I know Virginia has draconian penalties specific to railroads.

You are lashed to a pole trackside with no electronic gadgets.

Date: 01/10/17 15:51
Author: VaCentralRy

Proper penalty for trespassers:  The D-L staff shows up at your workplace, taking photos, and asking your boss when you'll be working.

John

Date: 01/10/17 16:48
Author: jgilmore

There is no quid pro quo
> for Trespassing... It doesn't matter if the engine
> is new or old, new paint or what, stay off the
> railroad's property; and stay off the company
> phones.

Agree, but what kind of rinky-dink outfit are they where everyone seems to know the dispatcher's phone number? Are they too stupid to insulate themselves from this kind of behavior? C'mon man, it's not that hard...

Besides, I don't understand people getting all dorked out for this particular unit--BORING!!! ... When it's run with the other Alcos it'll totally ruin the consist. I know all the losers don't care.

JG

Date: 01/10/17 17:18
Author: Bridge60

No...  People find ways of getting numbers they shouldn't.  If I tried, I could find just about any dispatcher's phone number in about 5 minutes.  And ff the new unit ruins the consist for you, stay home.  Please.

Date: 01/10/17 17:40
Author: RiverMP21

jgilmore Wrote:
>
> Agree, but what kind of rinky-dink outfit are they
> where everyone seems to know the dispatcher's
> phone number? Are they too stupid to insulate
> themselves from this kind of behavior? C'mon man,
> it's not that hard...
>

What isn't hard is finding the phone number out. There are people who need the number, including railroad employees, first responders, and other people with valid business reasons. Unfortunately, some people who have been privileged enough to find that number either freely share it, or think it's their personal fone-a-foam.

Just because the number is "out there" doesn't mean you should use it.

Posted from Android

Date: 01/11/17 04:06
Author: KV1guy

How do we know the RR didn't purchase this as a parts source?

Posted from Android

Date: 01/11/17 05:56
Author: sscannella

KV1guy Wrote:
> How do we know the RR didn't purchase this as a
> parts source?
>
> Posted from Android

One of the cool things about the DL is the Pres, at least on one of the VPs, the CMO, and several employees are 'railfans' and have been extremely cordial and welcoming to those showing interest in the DL and it's Alcos. It has been publicaly confirmed it's for operation.

As for all the trespassing comments here, I wouldn't have posted here if I could have foreseen that the conversation was going to deteriorate into what it has. With that said, I'll add this, if people trackside would use common sense and not feel a sense of entitlement and be so intrusive trackside, both on the DL and elsewhere; and if a few of the employees here and elsewhere would loosen up just a bit, there could be peaceful coexistence.

Take the pictures and let the railroaders do their work without getting in their way.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/17 06:13 by sscannella.

Date: 01/11/17 06:19
Author: MC6853

I have to say the railroad is bringing it upon themselves to a certain degree... Alcos attract fans, including the ones who don't understand the basic cornerstone unwritten rules for railfanning (don't tresspass on RR property, don't bother the crew too much when they're just trying to do their jobs, etc)...

I mentioned this the last time there was a D-L thread; NRE and LTE both have hordes of SD40s available...

Date: 01/11/17 06:20
Author: sixaxlealco

Let me add a bit to what Sam has said. The top management/principal stockholders of Genesee Valley Transportation, parent company for the Delaware-Lackawanna, are indeed well aware of the rich history of railroading and support the documentation, and preservation of such. We are very happy with our Alco locomotives, however the decisions concerning our locomotive fleet are made strictly with cost of ownership, cost of spare parts, reliability, and fuel efficiency in mind.  While history is important, it is also of paramount importance run run a safe, well maintained, and efficient railroad. We have worked hard over the 27 years of GVTs existence to do so. When there is a conflict between safety and the many people who turn out to view our operations (fans) , we will always choose to maintain a safe environment. We hope our many followers would support a similar policy. This provides the best result for our employees, fans, and general public.

Michael Thomas

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/17 14:22 by sixaxlealco.

Date: 01/11/17 06:44
Author: jgilmore

Bridge60 Wrote:
> No...  People find ways of getting numbers they
> shouldn't.  If I tried, I could find just about
> any dispatcher's phone number in about 5
> minutes.  And ff the new unit ruins the consist
> for you, stay home.  Please.

No worries my friend, gotcha covered. I live in Texas. However, when I lived in Allentown for many years, I still didn't bother with the D-L because I don't care for shortlines or Alcos. You can have my share. But don't tell me they can't be a little stricter with the phone numbers or screen the calls or do something else to keep from a dispatcher from getting bothered all the time if the problem is really that terrible. I know some BNSF dispatchers here in Fort Worth and they don't have this problem some how. D-L is trying to be nice about it, but they're going to find that doesn't work. Railfans are not going to back down, because many are selfish and greedy, like much of our society. Reminds me of the current media scare about the Russians hacking everything. Even if they are, whaddya do, ask them nicely to stop? No, you take greater and stronger measures to protect yourself/interests because you know they're clearly not going to stop. That's the way this will play out for D-L, railfans by and large are not going to stop.

JG

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/17 06:50 by jgilmore.

Date: 01/11/17 07:34
Author: toledopatch

Some years ago, during one of my earlier visits to D-L, I ventured up the stairs and knocked on the door and asked if they could tell me what was running. They politely said they would not, and I politely took my leave.

I've gone back to railfan them several times since then and have found out perfectly easily, without pestering anyone or getting in the way, what was going on. There are other railroads that are friendlier in this regard, but D-L has probably taken this position in part because they would otherwise be inundated with foam to the point that conducting their actual business safely and efficiently would be compromised.

But I get the sense there are some people in this hobby who won't take No for an answer, and they create problems for everybody else, along with the ones who are developmentally disabled and simply don't know any better.

I've also heard about the particular train crew that is hostile toward railfans. How much their attitude is provoked by bad railfan behavior vs. their own personal unhappiness, I can't independently address, but I've certainly encountered rails on other properties who simply dislike that their line of work has "fans" when for them it's just a paycheck. Whatever the cause, the well-poisoning that results is not good for anyone.

Date: 01/11/17 08:44
Author: callum_out

Parts source? The thing is nearly brand freaking new!

Out

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1125 seconds