Home Open Account Help 333 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > PES To Stop Receiving CSX Oil Trains via Selkirk/Water Level Rt

Date: 04/19/17 13:20
PES To Stop Receiving CSX Oil Trains via Selkirk/Water Level Rt
Author: RiverLineProductions

http://kelo.com/news/articles/2017/apr/19/dakota-access-pipeline-already-changing-oil-industry/

Very sad news and a big blow for NE CSX Railfans. These trains were often a big source of foreign power and they were just fun to catch!

Symbols that will be done away with: CSX K038, K039, K138, K139, K040, K140, K041, K141, K042, K142, K043, K143, (043 and 143 B&O Reroutes), K044, K144, K045, K145 (Also B&O reroutes), K048 and K049

Very upsetting to lose these trains, but as they say, out with the old and in with the new... Hopefully some new trains to come on the River and Trenton Subs soon.... I know this has been happening on other CSX lines and with Selkirk being one of the Hump Yards remaining open that likely puts it in a very good place.

If any one has opinions on this matter feel free to share! Always love to hear from other railfans about situations like these!

But a bad blow indeed for the NE.

Date: 04/19/17 13:29
Re: PES To Stop Receiving CSX Oil Trains via Selkirk/Water Level
Author: march_hare

I'd be interested to hear a gas/grease marketing guy's opinion on how much of this is due to the opening of the Dakota Access pipeline. 

That pipeline didn't feed the east coast, but oil is fungible, and if it gets easier to move it to market in the midwest, that could change the economics of rail haul to the east coast.  And shipping it to New Jersey, either by an all rail routing or via Selkirk and the Port of Albany, has to be WAY more expensive than putting it in  a pipe.

My office is right next to CP's line that feeds into the Port of Albany, and I haven't seen an oil train in months.  Still moving ethanol that way, but no crude.

Date: 04/19/17 14:02
Author: TCnR

Curious. What they seem to be saying is they can jack up the price of Bakken Crude since they are now able to ship it to Texas, which makes rail to the East Coast too expensive. Not because of delivery prices but simply because they get a better price for crude elsewhere.

"Unless there's an unforeseen event, like a supply disruption, there will be no economic incentive to rail Bakken to the East Coast."

3 trains a day is a lot of raw material. I would think Texas would need to be swimming in low cost crude for the Bakken price to go down substantially, making it economical to ship to the East Coast again.

Date: 04/19/17 14:47
Author: TheGrande

Were these trains interchanged from BNSF?

Date: 04/19/17 14:54
Author: Out_Of_Service

NS in Chicago ... don't know the CSX interchange location/s ...

Date: 04/19/17 15:19
Author: RiverLineProductions

Yes, from the BNSF in Chicago (K048 from CP). The odd symbols (empties) were handed to BNSF in Chicago

Date: 04/20/17 00:04
Author: Out_Of_Service

RiverLineProductions Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes, from the BNSF in Chicago (K048 from CP). The
> odd symbols (empties) were handed to BNSF in
> Chicago

I believe it had very little to do with the pipeline but has everything to do with cheaper foreign oil ... there were MILLIONS spent on RR infrastructure and oil terminal loading and unloading facilities ... Eddystone Rail Company built and entire new unloading facilty to unload Bakken crude for Motiva wbo refines jet fuel ... PES spent BuuKuu bucks on theirs ... NS, CSX and CR invested in remote sidings to hold trains

Date: 04/27/17 16:35
Author: cornerfieldhobby

So what Crude Oil trains will be running on the CSX Erie West Sub then?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0524 seconds