Home Open Account Help 227 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Ugly Betty Returns

Date: 04/19/17 13:24
Ugly Betty Returns
Author: RDG630

Pennsylvania Northeastern former CP SD40-2 #5577 made a return today with former CN SD40-2W #5342 on L160 heading to the ESPN interchange in Telford, Pa. Number 5577's paint scheme - if it can be called that - is about as ugly as a locomotive gets. Fortunately the unit had been over on the Warminster operation for quite a while so observers along the former Bethlehem Branch were spared. Photos today at Third Street in Telford and passing the former Reading Company Telford Station.

Date: 04/19/17 14:06
Re: Ugly Betty Returns
Author: kgmontreal

Some of the locomotives running on the actual CPR don't look much better.

Also, can you explain why East Penn is identified on this board as ESPN when its reporting mark is EPRY? The AAR does not have a reporting mark ESPN.

KG

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/17 14:12 by kgmontreal.

Date: 04/19/17 16:29
Author: HB90MACH

Where in Warminster is ESPN's operation? was not aware of one over there.

Date: 04/19/17 18:25
Author: Coalca

I was gonna say, that CP-painted unit looks like many still on the CP roster

Date: 04/19/17 21:09
Author: nhiwwrr

HB90MACH Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Where in Warminster is ESPN's operation? was
> not aware of one over there.

There is not any ESPN operation in Warminster. New Hope & Ivyland interchanges with the PN there at Wamrninster (PN took over the CSX Lansdale cluster, including the Warminster Line).

Posted from Android

Date: 04/19/17 23:51
Author: Chooch

Which one are you referring too as "ugly" and why?

Jim
Hatboro, PA

PS, there are several business's along the SEPTA Warminster line that receive servicing almost every night usually after 1:00 AM. I can attest to that as I live just off of Warminster Rd. and the sound of diesel horns at 2:00 AM is music to my ears as the trains approach the Hatboro Station. CSX delivers goods to these locations and has trackage rights from SEPTA but only after the last daily commuter train is run to Warminster.

Date: 04/20/17 01:39
Author: pdt

kgmontreal Wrote:
------------------------------------------------------
>
> Also, can you explain why East Penn is identified
> on this board as ESPN when its reporting mark is
> EPRY? The AAR does not have a reporting mark
> ESPN.
>
> KG

The East Penn Railroad (reporting mark ESPN) is a short-line railroad that operates a number of mostly-unconnected lines in the U.S. states of Pennsylvania and Delaware. Except for two industrial park switching operations, all are former Pennsylvania Railroad or Reading Company lines, abandoned or sold by Conrail or its predecessors.

ESPN was formed in 2007 through the merger of East Penn Railways (reporting mark EPRY) and Penn Eastern Rail Lines (reporting mark PRL), each of which began operating in the 1990s. The railroad is owned by Regional Rail, LLC, which also owns the Middletown and New Jersey Railroad, Tyburn Railroad, and Conshohocken Recycling & Rail Transfer.[1]

Date: 04/21/17 23:48
Author: nhiwwrr

Chooch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Which one are you referring too as "ugly" and
> why?
>
> Jim
> Hatboro, PA
>
> PS, there are several business's along the SEPTA
> Warminster line that receive servicing almost
> every night usually after 1:00 AM. I can attest to
> that as I live just off of Warminster Rd. and the
> sound of diesel horns at 2:00 AM is music to my
> ears as the trains approach the Hatboro Station.
> CSX delivers goods to these locations and has
> trackage rights from SEPTA but only after the last
> daily commuter train is run to Warminster.

Yes, which is serviced by the Pennsylvania Northeastern not ESPN (nor CSX) which was the question at hand... The same PN delivers to the New Hope & Ivyland's interchange at Ivyland.

PN took over opartions of the Lansdale Cluster from CSX in 2011...This includes the Warminster line. CSX interchanges with the PN at Lansdale.

I believe Philadelphia Macaroni Company/Conte Luna, just before Warminster, is served by the PN....that is if PMC hasn't been handed over to NH&I. Double H Plastics in Warminster is serviced by the NH&I, as is Castrol and CRC and some occasional team track business at Street Road. Above Ivyland, business will see stone from the loader at Rushland, trucked in from an off line quarry. There is no other freight business on the New Hope Branch above Rushland.

So with exception of possibly Phila Macaroni being switched out by the PN, all of the freight traversing the Warminster Line, from Glenside up, is interchange business to the NH&I as there are no other customers on the Warminster line south of County Line Road.

There can be 30-50 cars on the NH&I at any given time.

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0485 seconds