Home Open Account Help 341 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Off the beaten track-Blairsville, PA

Date: 04/20/17 17:16
Off the beaten track-Blairsville, PA
Author: nkp746

I finally was able to catch a 518 coal train on the Blairsville Industrial Track (BIT). Weather was less than ideal, but with somewhat rare moves one takes what they can get.

I'm no expert, as this is the first time I've seen this in action. It appears they place one unit of the consist on the BIT, at CP Alum. Then the other units take a cut of cars ahead and then back up the BIT to the waiting unit. The train, now with units at both ends, then heads up the BIT, through downtown Blairsville, and passes under the unloader. It then begins the SLOW process of unloading, one car at a time...I timed it, and it takes just over 5 mins per car. I didn't count, but assume this cut was 40-50 cars (??) They started at around 4:45pm and were still far from complete when I realized the sun would set and headed back to the hotel.

I had hoped to get the empty set returning through Blairsville. Since there is yet another cut (or more?)to unload, maybe I'll see it tomorrow. Not sure how long the crew had left on duty. I have seen the train tied down just before the road crossing in Blairsville, so maybe it takes more than one crew to fully unload a train.

The views here are near the current end of the BIT, taken from County Lane overpass. I believe the track used to be the Pennsy branch that ran from Blairsville north into Indiana, PA. Much of it is now the Hoodlebug Trail.

Rob Bennett
Fairview, PA

Date: 04/21/17 01:14
Re: Off the beaten track-Blairsville, PA
Author: Coalca

Really digging the woodsy feel of those photos.

Date: 04/21/17 05:49
Author: Gonut1

Interesting. Do they truck it from there to a power plant somewhere?
Gonut

Date: 04/21/17 06:19
Author: nkp746

I think- not positive- it is then trucked to the NRG Homer City Plant, which is about 7 miles north.

Interestingly, the NRG plant also gets directly delivery of coal from the B&P.

BTW, I am currently working on site at the Homer City plant.

Gonut1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Interesting. Do they truck it from there to a
> power plant somewhere?
> Gonut

Rob Bennett
Fairview, PA
http://youtube.com/user/SirDopeyTheBear/featured

Date: 04/21/17 10:51
Author: PRRFan

Lots of photo opportunities in the Blairsville area, try around CP Alum Bank for photo site, before the foliage take over.
My old Home Town.
PRRFan

Date: 04/22/17 07:10
Author: jmbreitigan

Nice catches Rob.
John

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0497 seconds