Home Open Account Help 298 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Southern Vacation: Day 5, Lancaster & Chester and Palmetto

Date: 04/24/17 11:49
Southern Vacation: Day 5, Lancaster & Chester and Palmetto
Author: Ohiorailfan

Day 5 of my trip starts in Chester, SC for the LC. At Chester the LC keeps their out of service 6 axles, also in Chester was their Highhood GP38AC. Within the next few hours we would chase the eastbound turn from Chester to Richburg. Once in Richburg the eastbound met the westbound from Lancaster and swapped cars. The westbound then headed back east and we followed. Both trains were powered by GP38-2's. Just east of Richburg there is a grain elevator with an LC SW1200. After some time on the LC I stopped by Charleston, SC and found one of the Palmetto's GP16's.

Date: 04/24/17 11:51
Re: Southern Vacation: Day 5, Lancaster & Chester and Palmetto

eastbound from Chester

Date: 04/24/17 11:53

Eastbound nearing Richburg and the SW1200

The westbound after swapping cars heads east through a Tree "Tunnel" east of Richburg

Date: 04/24/17 11:55

more of the eastbound back to Lancaster

Date: 04/24/17 11:55

Palmetto GP16 in Charleston, SC

Date: 04/24/17 14:37
Author: ns1000

You do get around...:<)

Date: 04/24/17 14:52
Author: refarkas

Not only do you cover the short lines/industrials, but you seek out interesting locations. WELL DONE!
My favorite from this group is 3821 and its train passing under the bridge with the Wagon Wheel restaurant sign.
Bob

Date: 04/24/17 19:45
Author: jmbreitigan

I like your tree tunnel photo. I would swear your last photo is a HO layout.
john

Date: 04/24/17 20:55
Author: tomd

Excellent shots!

Really like the drone shot of the Palmetto Railway loco.

Tom

Tom Daspit
Morgan Hill, CA
Tom's Trains

Date: 04/24/17 21:12
Author: garr

Looks like a nice trip with many great catches.

The Wagon Wheel billboard reminds me of the restaurant with the same or similar name that used to be, or still is, near the CSX dispatch center in Jacksonville. I remember eating there a few times with Jim Garner, Forrest Beckum, and "Jap" Cameron on our visits during the February Trains shows in the late '80s.

Jay

Date: 04/25/17 08:38
Author: Gonut1

You put together a really nice trip, lots of good looks at rare stuff.
My dad was a handyman, electrician and several other things when I was a kid. One job he talked about whenever we drove past the Wagon Wheel Restaurant (not the one the sign is for) was the wagon wheels he wired lamps onto and hung them from the ceiling in the dining room. I'm guessing that is where they got the name from? I recall it more as a sleazy bar and grill than a restaurant, it was a log building and was there into the Eighties, now long gone.
Thanks for the posts.
Gonut

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0492 seconds