Home Open Account Help 318 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Handsome F's at Bardstown

Date: 05/23/17 19:37
Handsome F's at Bardstown
Author: wheelnrail

Hey TO

Several months back on one of my Kentucky weekend trips, I paid a visit to RJ Corman's "My Old Kentucky Dinner Train" in Bardstown, KY. The dinner train operates between Bardstown and the Jim Beam bourbon plant in Clermont. They operate most weekends, and offer (from reading the reviews) excellent service and food. The handsome looking RJ Corman F7's were out that afternoon, so I stuck around the station for their departure, and the chase began.

#1. RJC 1940 departs Bardstown with a short train of 3 Budd's in tow.

#2. Skipping ahead, RJC 1940 passes by the former L&N depot and caboose at Deatsville, KY.

2 More...

Date: 05/23/17 19:46
Re: Handsome F's at Bardstown
Author: wheelnrail

#3. For some of the passengers on board, this was their highlight. The Dinner train's route passes by the Jim Beam distillery near Clermont, as well as several rackhouses. As far as i know, though the tracks exist, no rail traffic serves the plant.

#4. The F's have reached the end of their run, so they have to run around their train at the tiny siding at Clermont for the return trip to Bardstown. Nearby are the rackhouses, which house thousands of barrels of aging Jim Beam bourbon.

The chase was short yet very pleasant to photograph. This was the first time I've seen in person an RJ Corman run. So far it seems they make a fine first impression.

Thanks for looking!

Date: 05/23/17 20:52
Author: GP30Frank

If memory serves me ( ? ), I believe they are actually FP7's. They are 2 of the 4 Southern units that once were in the Green and White colors .

Date: 05/23/17 22:05
Author: krm152

Excellent photos; great composition and location choice.

RJ Corman’s FP7s look great. Their history is:
RJCR#1940 is ex NS #3497, nee SOU #6141
RJCR#1941 is ex NS #3496, nee SOU #6138

ALLEN

Date: 05/23/17 22:23
Author: cabsignaldrop

Beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Posted from Android

Date: 05/24/17 04:50
Author: jmbreitigan

Very nice. Congratulations on IOTD.

Date: 05/24/17 04:59
Author: MP286

The location where the F's are run around the train is known as Limestone Springs. It is about a mile west of the Jim Beam plant at Clermont and was originally the site of the Chapeze Distillery. The Czechoslovakia scenes in the 1981 movie “Stripes” were filmed at this site. The distilling buildings were torn down in the late 80's or early 90's leaving only the office building and power house. Today the property is owned by Beam and some of their product is stored there in the old rickhouses.

Date: 05/24/17 06:55
Author: refarkas

Beautiful images. My favorite is number four. Those two F's certainly look good in the RJ Corman paint.
Thanks for posting these.
Bob

Date: 05/24/17 08:16
Author: jwl1973

I have experienced the food and service . . . . both outstanding! And the scenery is bad, either.

Date: 05/24/17 12:55
Author: SD45X

And I thought they were stuffed and mounted. On display when I saw them. Good to know.
Sweet shots!

Date: 05/24/17 14:32
Author: ns1000

Nice pics!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0466 seconds