Home Open Account Help 328 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Bremen Georgia Train Viewing Platform

Date: 05/25/17 03:59
Bremen Georgia Train Viewing Platform
Author: NSSpike

Headed west to Bremen Georgia yesterday to get a hair cut and catch a few trains. While in the barber shop I asked the locals what are they building across the street. “A train watching platform”said the barber in a not so happy tone. There were mixed pros and cons by the locals with most not sure it is a wise investment of their tax dollars. The platform is being built on the site of the old police station on the south side of US 78 so viewing of the Norfolk Southern's Alabama Division east / west line through town will be from across the road. The Georgia Division's C-Line runs directly behind the platform location. One very noticeable change is that the line of trees and shrubs that were between the tracks and US 78 have been cleared out big time. Bremen is a railroad town with deep roots going back to the early days of steel wheels on a steel rail so I say “Good for them”  With all the rain ( 7" since Sunday) we have had around these parts it will be a while befor they move forward on this project.

#1 A view of yesterday's NS 172 (NEW ORLEANS, LA (UP QLINSL) - LINWOOD, NC)as it heads east through town.

#2 A view of the platform area looking toward the diamond.

Phil Maton
Villa Rica, GA

Date: 05/25/17 04:47
Re: Bremen Georgia Train Viewing Platform
Author: calsubd

Thanks Phil

Ed Stewart
Jacksonville, FL

Date: 05/25/17 05:25
Author: pilotblue

How busy is that line? What type of traffic?

Thank for any info!

Date: 05/25/17 06:10
Author: NSSpike

Well just yesterday after noon from about 12:30 to 6:30 I saw 8 scheduled trains on the east west line, a coal drag on the north south line along with the NS Brick train and three locals.
Dallas IM trains off the KCS, West coast IM trains from the UP, at least 6 manifests daily and up to three auto racks. And of late, extra "M" series on the manifests. 4 locals and an A43 turn Anniston / Bremen. Then two daily Amtrack Crescent trains. 20/22 trains a day on average not counting locals. And they all go through Austell Junction.

Phil Maton
Villa Rica, GA

Date: 05/25/17 06:17
Author: florida581

And to add to Phil's description, traffic on the Birmingham East End District comprises mostly of intermodal and autorack traffic with a handful of manifest trains. There's a good variety of power including UP and KCS on the intermodals off the Meridian Speedway. Amtrak's Crescent also runs this route. In all, expect about 20 trains in a 24-hour period. The Cedartown District sees occasional coal trains and locals.

•intermodal and autorack
219, 220, 225, 226, 290, 298, 22G, 22Q, 22Z, 23D, 23E, 24E, 26A, 27A

•manifest
153, 154, 172, 173, 186, 187

•Amtrak Crescent
19, 20

There's also occasional unit cement trains.

Andrew

Date: 05/25/17 12:21
Author: twropr

I believe #154 has a DPU - any others with mid-train locomotive?
Interestingly enough, back in the Southern days the train was #154 (Birmingham-Potomac Yard) and had a "radio unit" (SOU parlance for DPU).
Not sure what the transit time is today, but SOU #154 made the trip in about 18 hours.
Andy

Date: 05/25/17 17:38
Author: ns6704

I grew up off Cashtown Rd. My dad went to work for Southern in 1925 at the age of 22. He retired in 1969 and had he worked another 37 days he would have been there 44 years. Got to ride with hin 7 times, 3 times on passenger and 4 times in freight service. He used to tell me that when they got to Atlanta on 154 for crew change, Southern did not want it to sit over 10 minutes until moving again. 154 used to have a control car in front a unit, which was called a slave unit. Will be nice when platform is complete, because can see well East, West, South, and pretty well North. Thanks for the info.

W J Driver Leesburg Al.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/17 17:42 by ns6704.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0498 seconds