Home Open Account Help 293 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Need help in Identifying these cars at Steamtown

Date: 06/22/17 12:11
Need help in Identifying these cars at Steamtown
Author: ns2557

While getting a rather rare day to do some walking around while on break. Had the chance to go over to the Steamtown Site in Scranton Pa back on the 15th of June. In my walk about I found these 2 cars. Can't seem to find any info on who/what/etc on either of them. Does anyone here have any info on these 2? Ist one looks like a Reefer Car, with the hatches on top and end of car, second one, other that perhaps a rather old Passenger Car, I have no idea. Thanks for ny help. Appreciate it. Ben

Date: 06/22/17 12:24
Re: Need help in Identifying these cars at Steamtown
Author: boejoe

Photo #2 resembled ex-DL&W milk reefer that was converted for M of W use later in life. I saw a similar car in Portland PA (south of Del. Water Gap)in late 50's with high water mark from hurricane flooding.

Date: 06/22/17 12:34
Author: CPR_4000

The steel car looks like an MDT (NYC, NKP, DL&W, IC, GM&O) reefer and I agree that the wooden car started life as a Lackawanna milk car.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/17 16:42 by CPR_4000.

Date: 06/22/17 14:18
Author: wingomann

Sometimes the initials of the railroad or company the car was built for is cast into the sideframes on the trucks. The trucks could be swapped out so there is no gaurentee but it can narrow the optinos down.

Date: 06/22/17 15:39
Author: ns2557

wingomann Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sometimes the initials of the railroad or company
> the car was built for is cast into the sideframes
> on the trucks. The trucks could be swapped out so
> there is no gaurentee but it can narrow the
> optinos down.

Thanks. I know of this practice and as you stated that it's not always a "Fail Safe" measure to ID Cars. I did check, and could not find anything. Ben

Date: 06/23/17 19:07
Author: LittleDoc

Regarding the refer . . . assuming it was next on the restoration list list, what would be the strategy regarding mitigating the dents and rust in the sides of the car? It would seem that some of the rust spots are small dents in the steel. Would attempts be made to smooth out the steel? Would Bondo be used to help with that process? (Had to ask that!). For those of us who have not been involved in metal railroad car "restoration", could some who HAVE been involved give the rest of us an idea of how that works? If this process has already been covered previously in TO a citation or two would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for any comments..

Steve

Date: 06/23/17 19:25
Author: Lackawanna484

boejoe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Photo #2 resembled ex-DL&W milk reefer that was
> converted for M of W use later in life. I saw a
> similar car in Portland PA (south of Del. Water
> Gap)in late 50's with high water mark from
> hurricane flooding.

I'd agree with the suggestion of a DL&W milk car. This car closely resembles a 41 foot milk car spotted at the Orange NJ yard in a picture at a milk train car site. The polling slot, the center door, the vertical boards, even the slats in the end eaves line up.

Second picture: http://users.rcn.com/jimdu4/MilkTrains/DL&W_Milk_Car.htm

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0364 seconds