Home Open Account Help 250 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Shelocta situation

Date: 06/24/17 10:45
Shelocta situation
Author: nkp746

I know, I know...there are not many that care about this somewhat remote branch line location but just in case...

I drove up 422 (it is open) to Shelocta, PA to see the results of the flooding. There is obvious debris along the highway, and when I drove by LOCTA there were many NS trucks, light carts, backhoes, etc situated near the RR. A bit farther along Anthony Run Road a work train was at the road crossing and a two crews were working- repairing flood damage I assume. To the right of the pictures showing the equipment working is a large parking area for Frac tanks- I don't know if this is the location shown in the aerial photos.

Rob Bennett
Fairview, PA

Date: 06/24/17 11:13
Re: Shelocta situation
Author: Lackawanna484

Thanks for the first person reports. That area has been long subject to flash flooding, with hills and creeks, etc.

I'm guessing the Keystone plant has a few months of coal on the ground to keep things lighted for a while

Date: 06/24/17 11:32
Author: BCutter

I typically do not go near that location (my in-laws live next to RJCP's Irvona branch) but I can attest to the rapidity with which water rises in the creeks and streams around there. Thanks for the in-person report!

Bruce

Date: 06/24/17 18:24
Author: mw2007

keep the posts and pictures coming anytime you are out there
interesting pics

Date: 06/24/17 18:38
Author: jmbreitigan

nkp746 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I know, I know...there are not many that care
> about this somewhat remote branch line location
> but just in case...

I enjoy looking at your coverage. Thanks for the effort.
John

Date: 06/25/17 05:54
Author: NKP715

Definitely, keep them coming. Great photos
and videos of remote locations.

Ran into that storm east of Kitanning the other
day - - one of the worst rains ever drove thru.
Glad, now, I was past the Shelocta area.

Date: 06/25/17 17:38
Author: eddiejack102

I think there is more interest in short lines than you may think, I know I find them interesting, Thanks for the shots

Date: 06/26/17 11:45
Author: qed479

Thanks for the report. Always interested in this area. When I was a young electrical engineer just out of college in Pittsburgh, I was hired by Penelec in Johnstown. My first field work was at the Keystone Generating Station outside of Shelocta. Now retired, I started with Penelec 50 years ago today, 26 June, 1967.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.5404 seconds