Home Open Account Help 238 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > CSX downgrading rail lines

Date: 09/24/17 05:40
CSX downgrading rail lines
Author: ClubCar

I'm not trying to start a rumor as there are many others out here around the Baltimore Metro area who are discussing this topic. Anyhow, since CSX only operates a single through train over the former Western Maryland Railway line into Baltimore, once again there are some folks supposedly in the know who claim that EHH and his cronies are talking about selling this line. I guess this could be true as I'm sure they are talking about many different rail lines to get rid of; however a man that I met from Union Bridge, Maryland, where the Maryland Midland has its headquarters, claims that they (the Maryland Midland) are not interested in buying the line down into Baltimore right now as CSX is asking too much for the line, especially since it has no shippers between Hanover, Pennsylvania and Baltimore with the only traffic coming on that line from the Maryland Midland at Glyndon, Maryland. Who knows? Lots of rumors always, but does anyone else know anything about these discussions?
John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 09/24/17 08:43
Re: CSX downgrading rail lines
Author: engineerinvirginia

Nope and probably no one will until a case is filed with STB. But if there are few or no customers on the line, I can tell you from experience, that CSX is not going to want to keep it. At the very least, a line has to pay for its maintenance and cost of operation. Shortlining is the best way to go, and if MMID don't want it, someone will snap it up. If they can't sell outright they will surely lease it. Abandonment is an extreme case that won't go unless there no customers for a long period. Even the shrewdest operator has to give it some time

Date: 09/24/17 10:19
Author: Cole42

It's not that there are not any businesses to ship by rail, it's that CSX does not seem to have made any effort to get that business. So, while there is no local traffic now (except around Hanover) that doesn't mean that with some effort that a short line would give there couldn't be in the future. I'd suggest it is just the shift of some class one's away from loose car business.

I just think about Md Cup company (Solo Cup)in Owings Mills who had daily service from the WM and Chessie. They built a brand new building in Hampstead without rail access, everything goes by truck, and there's plenty of them going up and down MD route 30. One would think that aggressive marketing would have had them build to allow rail transport.

Date: 09/24/17 10:50
Author: Lackawanna484

Is this a line that Maryland Midland or Gettysburg Rail might be interested in taking over?

Date: 09/24/17 10:51
Author: PennPlat

Could there be a connection at Porters Sideling, bringing NS traffic down from York Pa?

Date: 09/24/17 10:52
Author: MEKoch

It would be nice if W&LE could buy it. But I suspect CSX would decline such a sale.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/24/17 11:11
Author: Cole42

Since G&W owns MMID and Yorkrail, one would think that they would be a likely candidate as they could connect the two lines by purchasing the Hanover Sub. But what traffic to the two lines share that they would need to join them?

Years ago there was rumor of Conrail wanting to buy the line so they could run through York and into Baltimore, back before Chessie closed Port Covington. So, theoretically, NS could use it but as they'd be at the mercy of CSX once they got to Baltimore so why bother. And I suppose they could re-install the connection to the NEC at Fulton Jct, but would have to go through the B&P tunnel to get to Bay View which is a deal breaker.

Date: 09/24/17 20:44
Author: JLinDE

My current knowledge is that there are two pieces of business moved on the ex-WM, both loaded EB. Cement from Union Bridge MD which goes to NE I think, and a rock runner from the Bittinger PA quarry to someplace in Balto or maybe near DC. If there is no other industry from Hanover to Balto then it is entirely possible with the screwy things EHH is doing at CSX that he forces a routing to Hagerstown for this stuff, which might kill the economics of both moves. But it is very difficult to close an interchange. But, you can stop service on a route if there is no volume between x and y for two years. Then apply to STB. I think that is still STB policy. Shortline marketeers are usually much sharper than big RR's, and if they say there is potential, or CSX's price is too high, they are playing their cards wisely.

Date: 09/25/17 09:56
Author: engineerinvirginia

Where it concerns marketing....if you market hard you will sell your wares. But CSX doesn't want loose car business. At least none that it doesn't already have. And they don't want any back that they lost. That would be like tucking your tail between your legs.

Date: 09/25/17 20:14
Author: JLinDE

can't really argue about that. But single carload traffic really grew a lot on CSX-ex-B&O pre-EHH lines for he last 30 years. Keeps 3 locals busy. Maybe EHH hasn't discovered that yet...........

Date: 09/26/17 03:20
Author: DubyaM

PennPlat Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Could there be a connection at Porters Sideling,
> bringing NS traffic down from York Pa?

There is a connection at Porters and always has been. I think Yorkrail leaves their interchange cars at Smiths.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.048 seconds