Home Open Account Help 315 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Stobe the Hobo RIP

Date: 11/21/17 14:54
Stobe the Hobo RIP
Author: bbethmann

While poking around Youtube this morning there were several recaps of the death of Jim Stobe, November 8th, considered by many other illicit train riders as somewhat iconic. According to these folks Stobe was crossing a railroad bridge in the Baltimore, MD, area with his usual gigantic backpack when an Amtrak train approached rather quickly leaving Jim no other option then to try to get as far from the outside track as possible, quickly. Apparently not quite quick enough his backpack got “picked” by the train and dragged him a considerable distance before his body (at this point) became disengaged from the train. His remains were apparently found much later by passers by.

Not at all sure of the details as they came from what I would consider to be quasi-reliable sources (other hobo types.....or is it PC to refer to them as illicit train riders).

Stobe profered many videos on YouTube which you can review for yourself by searching “Stobe the hobo”. They are above average quality with a piano music component by Jim that he laid down on the videos himself. They present an interesting perspective of riding the rails that brings back memories of my time working on the SP. Beer, lots of beer was an integral part of each of Stobe’s adventures.....and fried chicken. He was infamous for getting much agitated when trains did not appear at a convenient time for him, particularly the FNBS (BNSF for the rest of us). The UP ranked pretty high in his favorites list.

RIP Stobe

BB in Spokane

Posted from iPhone

Date: 11/21/17 15:40
Re: Stobe the Hobo RIP
Author: howeld

I've watched a few of his videos and found them interesting enough to watch. Sad to hear he was killed but I guess that's the risk he took.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 11/21/17 17:59
Author: Coalca

It was only a matter of time for him. His videos were admittedly interesting to watch at times, due to their wreckless nature.

Date: 11/22/17 17:12
Author: RFandPFan

bbethmann Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
According to
> these folks Stobe was crossing a railroad bridge
> in the Baltimore, MD, area with his usual gigantic
> backpack when an Amtrak train approached rather
> quickly leaving Jim no other option then to try to
> get as far from the outside track as possible,
> quickly. Apparently not quite quick enough his
> backpack got “picked” by the train and dragged
> him a considerable distance before his body (at
> this point) became disengaged from the train. His
> remains were apparently found much later by
> passers by.
>

I feel bad for the Amtrak employees and first responders that had to deal with cleaning up after this trespasser.

Date: 12/04/17 14:06
Author: chessie7602

I watched his videos and found them to be interesting. Great scenery and he did have a level of knowledge on the operation of the railroads that kept my interest.

That being said, he chose a dangerous (and illegal) hobby. It wasn't that long ago that he had to exit a train leaving his belongings behind when he was spotted.

Date: 03/24/19 01:13
Author: dan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdvolvkzJQM

still missed, just discovered his work rip

a bunch more is out there

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.065 seconds