Home Open Account Help 318 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Potentially dumb PTC question

Date: 11/22/17 01:15
Potentially dumb PTC question
Author: JPB

I have this friend who is curious about PTC impact on foreign Class 1 RR power leading on the few routes that currently have cab signals (eg, CSX Boston line currently requires CSX only leaders): Once PTC is implemented in the US, will any road's PTC-equipped power be able to lead on any other road's main lines? And will all CP and CN road units be able to lead in the US as well or just those that are set up for use on CP/CN's US routes?

Date: 11/22/17 03:40
Re: Potentially dumb PTC question
Author: JUTower

PTC is an overlay on top of existing signal systems, cab signal or otherwise. Therefore, locomotives will still need cab signal equipment in order to operate in cab signal territory. Likewise, locomotives operating ACSES/LSL on Amtrak will still need to be so-equipped. Outside of that, PTC-equipped locomotives from most of the Class I's will be able to lead on other Class I's PTC territory.

Date: 11/22/17 05:42
Author: NSSpike

No such thing as a dumb question unless it is not properly worded. It is questions like this that contribute to the knowledge of the rest of us.
Especially when answered by someone who actually knows Vs someone who thinks he knows it all!!!
Over and Out!!
NSSpike

Phil Maton
Villa Rica, GA

Date: 11/22/17 11:36
Author: rbmn5022

In certain areas of the system, I've seen reference to BNSF prohibiting foreign units leading on territory that is PTC-equipped but I know there are others which have PTC turned on but still have foreign power leading. I haven't heard of this with UP, so it might vary based on the railroad and system in place. It was reported in a transit magazine a couple years ago that there was some compatibility issues between SEPTA and CSX. I'm not sure if this has been rectified, I know CSX runs a local or two on SEPTA ROW currently:

http://www.metro-magazine.com/blogpost/294867/challenges-of-positive-train-control-implementation

Also, I recall that during the EHH era, CP wasn't planning to equip their whole fleet with PTC which would lead to certain units being captive to Canada. That may well have changed, but I presume this will be the case with Mexican power as well (other than maybe KCSM stuff).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/17 11:39 by rbmn5022.

Date: 11/22/17 13:14
Author: callum_out

PTC equipped unit has to lead (unless something has changed).

Out

Date: 11/22/17 13:57
Author: PRR1361

Not true, at least until 12/31/2018 by FTC rules. However, an individual railroad (like BNSF) may require it; railroads are permitted to make rules that are even more stringent than the FRA baselines. Amtrak, for example, may operate over I-ETMS roads with non-equipped locos until equipped ones become available. Installation of the hardware and software on their locos will begin soon, but cannot be done "overnight", therefore the waiver. The same will hold true for the freights and regionals. What has some folks nervous (BNSF?) is the fact that non-equipped locos will be operating in equipped territory; who is responsible in the event of a serious mishap?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0366 seconds