Home Open Account Help 312 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > NS Harrisburg to Binghamton and Buffalo Questions

Date: 04/03/18 17:55
NS Harrisburg to Binghamton and Buffalo Questions
Author: PRR_4859

Good Evening:

Where are the crew changes between Harrisburg, PA, Binghamton, NY and Buffalo? Also, what is the maximum speed of the former D&H between Sunbury, PA and Binghamton, NY?

Thank you in advance.

Date: 04/03/18 20:24
Re: NS Harrisburg to Binghamton and Buffalo Questions
Author: ANDY117

Between Harrisburg and Buffalo, Binghamton is the crew change point. The Buffalo-Binghamton pool is based in Buffalo, and the Binghamton-Harrisburg pool is based in Binghamton. There are also a few locals in Taylor and Northumberland.

Maximum speed is 40 for a majority of the Sunbury Line from Container (MP HA620, south of Binghamton) to KASE in Sunbury (HA752). The only real slow portion is around Scranton where it varies from 20 to 35.

Date: 04/04/18 03:21

Thank you. What is the mileage and average run times from Harrisburg to Binghamton and Binghamton to Buffalo? Also, how many trains per day go over Tunkhannock Viaduct? I am hoping to go there soon as I have never been there.

Date: 04/04/18 07:31
Author: waivethefive

PRR_4859 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thank you. What is the mileage and average run
> times from Harrisburg to Binghamton and Binghamton
> to Buffalo? Also, how many trains per day go over
> Tunkhannock Viaduct? I am hoping to go there soon
> as I have never been there.

Buffalo to Binghamton is a little over 200 miles and can be done just under 5 hours on a perfect run (good luck with that). Binghamton to Harrisburg is a little under 200 miles and takes close to 6 hours. Of course with meets, work being done enroute and the large size of these trains it normally takes much longer.

Currently there are six road trains that cross the viaduct. That's being cut down to 4 next week and a turn job to Taylor will be added. The turn job will go over the viaduct twice so I guess you can still consider it 6 trains a day.

Date: 04/04/18 07:40

Thank you. What road trains are being cut off, and what will the turn job do?

Thank you again.

Date: 04/05/18 02:22
Author: JPB

PRR_4859 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thank you. What road trains are being cut off,
> and what will the turn job do?
>
> Thank you again.

The only road freight pair operating between Scranton and Sunbury will be Binghamton-Enola manifests 11Z (south) and 14R (north). The Binghamton-Norry Yard (Northampton) road trains 10A (south) and 11A (north) are being abolished and replaced by two turn jobs: an Enola-Norry local on the Buffalo line and a Binghamton-Scranton local to handle both Delaware Lackawanna interchange and Taylor yard freight (I think!). So the 6 trains over Tunkhannock Viaduct will be the Binghamton-Enola pair 11Z (generally pre-dawn) and 14R (late afternoon?), the Buffalo-Allanetown pair 36T (right around sunrise) and 37T (mid morning), and the Binghamton-Scranton turn local.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0319 seconds