Home Open Account Help 340 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > NS v. Pittsburgh: double stack clearances Allegheny Commons Pk

Date: 04/19/18 05:49
NS v. Pittsburgh: double stack clearances Allegheny Commons Pk
Author: JPB

NS wants to raise clearances through Allegheny Commons Park to accommodate double stacks apparently to speed up trains by avoiding routing them on the south side of the Monongahela River.
No agreement with residents/Pittsburgh has been reached as yet....

http://www.post-gazette.com/opinion/brian-oneill/2018/04/19/Taller-trains-higher-bridges-testy-neighbors/stories/201804190021

Date: 04/19/18 16:50
Re: NS v. Pittsburgh: double stack clearances Allegheny Commons P
Author: Greyhounds

They'll have to raise those bridges by 4.5 feet, which really won't cause any problems. Some people just oppose anything.

Date: 04/19/18 16:59
Author: Lackawanna484

Parts of that area are gentrifying rapidly. The area already gets hammered with parking on game days.

Likely to be a mess.

Can they lower the track bed by 4.5 feet?

Posted from Android

Date: 04/19/18 19:35
Author: RuleG

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Parts of that area are gentrifying rapidly. The
> area already gets hammered with parking on game
> days.

Sorry, I would not characterize this area (or even parts of it) as "gentrifying rapidly." Yes, in a few sections, older houses have been renovated and some upper income people moved in, but it has not been a rapid process.

>
> Likely to be a mess.
>
> Can they lower the track bed by 4.5 feet?

This is discussed in the article.

Date: 04/19/18 20:27
Author: DJ-12

Part of the challenge in this area likely is in addition to the walls of the trench and pipes under the track being an issue, the tracks actually bridge OVER some streets just to the east of the trench, so lowering the tracks creates issues with clearance over ghese streets. The 2 Ft Wayne tracks also have to climb to reach the bridge over the Allegheny River. Its a very complicated area.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/20/18 13:20
Author: splicer

Anyone who has driven over the intersection of North & Brighton can see that it is already raised from any approach. The tracks pass diagonally, directly through the middle. To raise this intersection would , in fact , make a mountain out of a mole hill. The Mon line was chosen, previously, to avoid the trench and the Amtrak station in town.

Paul

Date: 04/20/18 18:34
Author: PRR_4859

Would this allow doublestacks to pass through the passenger station in Pittsburgh?

Thank you in advance.

Date: 04/20/18 18:46
Author: Lackawanna484

RuleG Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Lackawanna484 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Parts of that area are gentrifying rapidly. The
> > area already gets hammered with parking on game
> > days.
>
> Sorry, I would not characterize this area (or even
> parts of it) as "gentrifying rapidly." Yes, in a
> few sections, older houses have been renovated and
> some upper income people moved in, but it has not
> been a rapid process.
>
(SNIP)

I was basing my comments on my visits to the Priory Hotel, which I mention here from time to time. That area has improved considerably in recent years, and it seemed like the areas immediately to the west were getting better, too.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0355 seconds