Home Open Account Help 387 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Sunday morning around Scranton and Wilkes-Barre, PA

Date: 04/22/18 19:15
Sunday morning around Scranton and Wilkes-Barre, PA
Author: sscannella

Got in a couple hours trackside after church before tending to some family business on this beautiful April Sunday...

Started off with 14R crossing the Susquehanna River from Kingston into Wilkes-Barre.

14R had to stop at Dupont to wait for Taylor-based local K81 finish working the Luzerne-Susquehanna interchange in Avoca, PA.

Next up is the K81 in Moosic returning to Taylor.

Date: 04/22/18 19:19
Re: Sunday morning around Scranton and Wilkes-Barre, PA

While waiting for K81 to clear up before 14 got turned loose, I headed over to Pittston, PA to catch the Reading and Northern's PISB job to work the Scranotn Back Valley Branch depart Pittston. Was able to catch it at my usual locations in Duryea and coming into Old Forge.

Date: 04/22/18 19:25

As is often the case, the Reading and Northern's YJPI job was along for the ride to work Mariotti Lumber in Old Forge, with their recently acquired ex-NS hi-hood GP38-2.

I then was able to intercept the NS 14R approaching Taylor Yard.

Then a quick stop by Steamtown found their Baldwin 0-6-0 doing caboose hops around the yard on it's first operating weekend of 2018.

Date: 04/22/18 19:26

Three sets of DL power were seen idling around the yard while in Scranton....

Date: 04/22/18 19:35

One more look at the DL power in the former DL&W Scranton Yard idling away by Bridge 60 tower, then a view of the pair of NS SD40-2s being used on the local jobs out of Taylor Yard this we.

I'll close this one with a video of the 14R from the Davis Street Bridge approaching Taylor Yard.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 04/23/18 05:33
Author: ns1000

Great stuff..!! Thanks...

Date: 04/23/18 07:41
Author: toledopatch

Is that PISB train a Sunday regular? And what's the history of this branch? I'm not familiar with it.

Was the D-L not running anything on this particular Sunday? (Previous reports had indicated there's usually a Sunday train now to either Carbondale or Mount Pocono.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/18 07:42 by toledopatch.

Date: 04/23/18 17:56

toledopatch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is that PISB train a Sunday regular? And what's
> the history of this branch? I'm not familiar with
> it.
>
> Was the D-L not running anything on this
> particular Sunday? (Previous reports had indicated
> there's usually a Sunday train now to either
> Carbondale or Mount Pocono.)

PISB runs SU-FR, runs the old DL&W Bloomsburg branch from Pittston to Taylor. Then through part of Taylor Yard to access the Industrial Park where the old DL&W Hampton Yards were.

As for the DL, my understanding is a job usually runs Saturday and Sunday, and there may have been a crew working early Sunday, but everything was tied down by early afternoon.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0623 seconds