Home Open Account Help 281 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > An Afternoon on the Chicken

Date: 06/14/18 20:43
An Afternoon on the Chicken
Author: Mastadon

I spent a few hours chasing a Chesapeake and Indiana grain empty running to Malden for loading on Wednesday, 6/13. The train was delivered to the CKIN by the NS at Thomaston. There, it was split into two trains. One headed north to Union Mills behind a pair of former Duluth Missabe and Iron Range SDMs, while the other headed south to Lacrosse, then West to Malden.

Since the northbound run was poorly lit at this time of year, it was decided to follow the better lit southbound run. Powered by a pair of recently acquired former NS GP38-2s, it was a fun chase. The trailing motor has been painted in the quasi-Southern paint, while the leader is still in a patched NS "scheme". Despite an offer of a case of Yuengling to have the 5115 lead, logistics required the pair to remain as is from Thomaston.

Still, it was fun to chase.

1. Just south of the NS crossing in Thomaston being deafened by a sweet K5H.
2. Passing the welcome sign to Lacrosse.
3. Passing a reminder of the code line just outside of Malden.

There's a lot more from the day at https://www.flickr.com/photos/mastadon4935/ as time allows. Plans call for the fleet to receive the new paint sooner than later. I will be back.

Don Kalkman

Date: 06/14/18 21:05
Re: An Afternoon on the Chicken
Author: NS7214

Great shots
-djs

Date: 06/15/18 07:43
Author: calumet

Here's a closer look at C&I's new paint scheme; note the similarity between their logo and the C&O. Photos taken a couple of weeks ago near Wellsboro.

Date: 06/15/18 10:29
Author: SCL1517

Nice photos, but sheesh--paint scheme from Southern, logo from C&O, horn from Amtrak; what a mélange!

Date: 06/16/18 07:14
Author: WrongMain

SCL1517 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice photos, but sheesh--paint scheme from
> Southern, logo from C&O, horn from Amtrak; what a
> mélange!

I imagine they prefer to call it "eclectic." The CKIN is a pretty neat operation.

Date: 06/16/18 13:41
Author: ns1000

I REALLY like Pic 2!!

Date: 06/17/18 13:14
Author: wabash2800

Yeah, I don't have a problem with the logo but something more original than the Southern scheme would have been nice. But, I'd say it's a matter of economics, and knowing someone that is employed by this operation, it is conservative.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/18 13:23 by wabash2800.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0378 seconds