Home Open Account Help 243 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Giving dad a Break Today

Date: 06/17/18 17:32
Giving dad a Break Today
Author: scoobydoobydoo

Took a drive down to Hopedale,Ohio today and found mom with her kids near the tracks giving dad a Break,Just a few pics from todays trip and a pic i bought at a yard sale,Any ideas on the pic

Date: 06/17/18 17:39
Re: Giving dad a Break Today

A couple more

Date: 06/17/18 17:48
Author: refarkas

I do believe that is the EL yard in Kent.
Bob

Date: 06/17/18 18:00

Where do you think the pic was taken from back in the 50S

Date: 06/17/18 18:46
Author: farmer

Is there much to see of the propane plant at Hopedale?

Posted from iPhone

Date: 06/17/18 19:43

The gates all has Security,Could not even get close...Scoob

Date: 06/18/18 07:17
Author: ubee1964

Could picture have been taken from light tower at east end of Kent yard? Ed Beckwith had similar picture taken of plugged yard during WW2.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/18 07:20 by ubee1964.

Date: 06/18/18 21:31
Author: arelpy

it's the Erie yard in Kent, early 1950's - 1951 or maybe 1952, judging by the autos parked at the yard office/agency.
the shot faces West Southwest. it's a few years into dieselization, as the diesel pad looks pretty new, and the roundhouse has already been demolished.
also, the water tower has been taken down - though the concrete base is still in the photo, and still stands today.
the old Mason Tire plant on the left eventually became Lamb Electric/AMETEK, but was recently demolished.
the Williams Bros. Flour Mill - a prominent feature in many Erie/Kent photos, is visible on the horizon, in the upper left corner of the photo.

I understand that the photo was taken by Ed Beckwith, and that he took it from the east end light tower (as he was known to do).
this photo appeared a few years ago (2014?) as the full center section in the ELHS "Diamond" magazine.

Date: 06/19/18 08:21

Thank you for the info,We were in southern ohio and i bought this 8 by 10 at a yard sale for a buck,living in the akron area all my 67 years the picture is a nice addition to the rest of my stuff,thanks....Jimmy

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0364 seconds