Home Open Account Help 303 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Conrail Express on the Maryland & Delaware Today

Date: 06/20/18 13:22
Conrail Express on the Maryland & Delaware Today
Author: cr2581

Saw this unit go north on a DCR train last week and figured it was headed to Massey via the interchange at Townsend. I later learned it was pinch hitting for some RS3Ms that needed mechanical work. Relying on past history, I went to Townsend hoping it would be assigned to the job that works west on Wednesday mornings. It was ...... and the chase was on ! The attached image shows the five car train crossing Blue Star Memorial Highway (a.k.a. Route 301) just west of Massey, MD.

Enjoy !

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/18 18:16 by cr2581.

Date: 06/20/18 13:33
Re: Conrail Express on the Maryland & Delaware Today
Author: sscannella

Great catch Gary! I have to look for it when I'm down that way in a couple weeks.

Date: 06/20/18 15:20
Author: NS7214

Damn, I didn't know one was still running

Posted from Android

Date: 06/20/18 15:27
Author: ns1000

NIICE..!!

Date: 06/20/18 16:00
Author: cr2581

Heres another view passing through Worton, MD.

Date: 06/20/18 19:38
Author: JLinDE

This may have been the only loco painted this scheme. I think it was originally assigned to what is now the Reading & Northern. I'm very surprised it still exists. I worked for Conrail, the last real job in Short Line Marketing, where I worked for a man that is now the President of a very successful Conrail sale cluster. After Conrail ended I was temporarily employed in a Philly CSX customer service unit after takeover. At lunch I would go eat in the small area that was once our short line service group. Big dumpsters of stuff from other departments began to be parked there. So I got into them with the purpose of saving some corporate history, because Conrail had become a very good railroad.

In one of the dumpsters was the stencil for this logo on the engine pictured; along with many other historical things, including about 5000 good slides from many dumpsters. I kept this stuff for about a decade until Conrail Historical efforts settled down to one. Then, about a decade ago I gave the then President of the remaining Conrail Historical Society 26 boxes and bins full of CR stuff including the stencil. I had hoped that this donation, which I have documented, would make me a member or at least a recipient of the newsletter. It did not. I got a few token gifts but that was it.

Anyway, the stencil for the lettering on this unit should still exist at the Conrail Historical Society if they have not trashed it.

Date: 06/20/18 21:10
Author: Kemacprr

There was another loco painted in this scheme. A U23b that the R&N got and almost right away wrecked. I don't believe the SW was ever on the R&N. ---- Ken

Date: 06/21/18 05:18
Author: ChessieSystem

Kemacprr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There was another loco painted in this scheme. A
> U23b that the R&N got and almost right away
> wrecked. I don't believe the SW was ever on the
> R&N. ---- Ken

This is a correct assessment.

JW

Date: 06/21/18 21:22
Author: JLinDE

So where was this CR Express letter unit in the late 1990s and since? Do you know?

Date: 06/22/18 06:36
Author: MdRailfan

Do you know if the Md and De RS3's that need work are going off site as in possibly to Enola or Altoona, Pa. or being done on site.

Date: 06/22/18 07:21
Author: ChessieSystem

The CR express unit went to the the MDDE.
I can't say with 100% certainty but believe the RS will be serviced onsite. There may be some changes on the horizon.

JW

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0349 seconds