Home Open Account Help 219 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Views of ATL's old Now Gone Terminal Station South Tower

Date: 06/21/18 09:46
Views of ATL's old Now Gone Terminal Station South Tower
Author: NS7214

I'm damn glad I shot allot of pictures through the years with the historic Atlanta Terminal Station South Tower. It was demolished this morning, June 20, 2018. Terminal Station was leveled in 1972 and the South Tower was the only structure saved from the 1903 built arena. The tower served many movements, many of which were historical from WWl and WWll. FDR's funeral train from Warm Springs, Georgia in 1945 was just one that passed beneath the watchful eyes of South Tower's windows. Terminal Station was the originating point for thousands of troops destined for overseas such as Eugene B. Sledge during WWll.

1st shot- A South Yard based local job heads down main two of the Atlanta South District on the Georgia Division with a load GP60 as it heads back to South Yard on April 17, 2014

2nd shot- NS South Yard job GZ21 heads north from East Point with a transfer job that will soon make a reverse move back down the near tracks of the Atlanta South District to South Yard on October 24, 2014

3rd shot- Norfolk Southern's Virginian heritage SD70ACe NÂș1069 leads a former UP SD9043MAC on manifest train, 180 as it passes below the former Southern Railway office building and along side the old South Tower which remains from Atlanta's Terminal Station. Most know the old Southern Railway building as the hospital from the highly popular series, The Walking Dead. October 3, 2016

Date: 06/21/18 09:52
Re: Views of ATL's old Now Gone Terminal Station South Tower

CSX AC6000 664 leads Q124 by the former site of Atlanta's Terminal Station. The former Southern Railway Office building also serves as a backdrop with the remaining Terminal Station South Tower, most know the old Southern Railway building as the hospital from the highly popular series, The Walking Dead.

Memphis, Tennessee to Savannah, Georgia train 26Q charges through CP Spring in Atlanta, Georgia as 55E with ES40DC 7703 waits for it's turn to head for a crew change. The only remaining structure from Atlanta's former Terminal Station still stands to the side as a ghost of times past.

The ghost of Atlanta's Terminal Station looks on as northbound 174 steps through downtown Atlanta during the early hours of October 3, 2016. The former Southern Railway office building also stands silent to the right. The Richard B. Russell Federal Building standing to the left occupies the site where the main concourse of Terminal Station once stood which was demolished in 1972.

Date: 06/21/18 09:53

Local job GE99 and it's RPM4C/GP33ECO steps by the ghost of Atlanta's Terminal Station which was demolished in 1972. GE99 still has plenty of moves remaining before the crew's night is complete.

Date: 06/21/18 09:56
Author: msns2557

Great Shots Dave ...Kristie

Date: 06/21/18 09:57
Author: ubee1964

Great night pictures!

Date: 06/21/18 10:54
Author: BobP

In pic 2 what is that big honking thing on low center flat?
Looks like electrical transformer.
Cool pics.

Date: 06/21/18 11:48

It is a transformer, where it was going and conning from I can't remember

Posted from Android

Date: 06/21/18 11:49

I've got more images I'm gathering now to share

Posted from Android

Date: 06/21/18 14:54
Author: ns1000

Nice pics!!

Date: 06/21/18 14:56
Author: NKPSOUTHERN

Great pics. Every time I went there never seemed to be any trains around.

Date: 06/21/18 23:12

Thank ya, fellas

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0631 seconds