Home Open Account Help 325 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > CSX recalls Ohio workers

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 06/23/18 07:23
CSX recalls Ohio workers
Author: MEKoch

CSX has recalled all furloughed conductors in Cleveland, Willard, N. Baltimore and Garrett, IN. It must be busy enough to keep everyone working.

I have heard NS is paying a $10,000 bonus to conductors/engineers, who are hired, and stay at least six months.

Date: 06/23/18 07:46
Re: CSX recalls Ohio workers
Author: Totallamer

MEKoch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> CSX has recalled all furloughed conductors in
> Cleveland, Willard, N. Baltimore and Garrett, IN.
> It must be busy enough to keep everyone working.
>
>
> I have heard NS is paying a $10,000 bonus to
> conductors/engineers, who are hired, and stay at
> least six months.

Don't know about elsewhere, but CSX is desperately short of T&E in many places in the south. Except for Hamlet, but a lot of those guys aren't going anywhere despite the furloughs.

Date: 06/23/18 08:17
Author: inCHI

I'm sure that is a thrilling prospect for all those who got viciously booted.

Date: 06/23/18 08:27
Author: Lackawanna484

Any guesses on how many furloughed guys return? With a below 4% unemployment rate in many places, people may have found better alternatives. Jobs that respect their family obligations, treat them like human beings, etc.

Date: 06/23/18 08:55
Author: RS11

Give me $50,000 up front and an on and off train and I'll come back as an engineer for a year. /S

Date: 06/23/18 13:44
Author: n

so far not many have returned maybe 20%, most of these were recalled in 2016 and '17 in the spring each year and furloughed again after labor day. so this would be the 3rd time for many.

Date: 06/23/18 13:50
Author: OldHeadRailroader

What a way to run a railroad. The Harrison Libertarian slash and burn hatchet man vulture capitaliat way never works effectively, other than to line his/Hunterbot cronies pockets full of gold. He made hundreds of millions off of many thousands of employees he fired, furloughed and crafts abolished, throughout his 50+ year career. The man who refused to go away because of a large ego and controlling personality, now dead!

Posted from Android

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/18 14:12 by OldHeadRailroader.

Date: 06/23/18 15:06
Author: NYC6001

CSX has hired too aggressively several times over the years as well. Heavy furloughs invariably followed, with many guys not returning when called.

Worse than the furlough itself was the several weeks of being in limbo, working just a few times a week. A lot of guys must have felt like they fell for a scam.

This time, the hyper implementation of PSR was disruptive all over the place, especially with staffing levels.

Date: 06/23/18 19:01
Author: NS19K

Last night the CSX RM dispatcher told the crew of an eastbound train trying to get into Garrett that had "a cemetary" out at Indo and he was having trouble finding places to park dead trains. Not a good thing when your premier Chicago mainline is single track at best for 20-30 miles.

Date: 06/23/18 19:23
Author: EL3600

This is why I never returned to the railroad. Over-hire; lay off too many; then, lay off more; fire more workers and management, and then hire like crazy. Where's the incentive/security in that? Completely epileptic personnel business practices and policies. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/18 19:26 by EL3600.

Date: 06/24/18 04:45
Author: dcfbalcoS1

Many businesses are being mis managed that same way these days. Its all in the numbers by the accounting degree college kid mentality with the out of control ego. Keep working the numbers until he or she sees what they think is nervanna. Labor is always considered to be the evil unnecessary part of the mix and must be disposed of. Anyway, they were told they can always hire people at a dime a dozen when ever they need them. The slash and burn technique was used at Halliburton about every ten years.

Date: 06/24/18 06:26
Author: AmHog

Yes, and they (mgt) give themselves a built-in excuse to go to single man crews next contract. "We can't get anyone to work here. Here's $20, go take that train by yourself."

Date: 06/24/18 06:27
Author: pennsy3750

dcfbalcoS1 Wrote:
>  Its all in the numbers
> by the accounting degree college kid mentality

The "accounting degree college kid" doesn't have the authority to make those kind of calls.  It comes from the big wig who is many years removed from college.

Date: 06/24/18 17:54
Author: gbmott

OldHeadRailroader Wrote:
> What a way to run a railroad. The Harrison
> Libertarian slash and burn hatchet man vulture
> capitaliat way never works effectively, other than
> to line his/Hunterbot cronies pockets full of
> gold. He made hundreds of millions off of many
> thousands of employees he fired, furloughed and
> crafts abolished, throughout his 50+ year career.
> The man who refused to go away because of a large
> ego and controlling personality, now dead!
>
> Posted from Android

C'mon, give it a rest.  The man's dead.  These rants don't contribute anything.

Gordon

Date: 06/24/18 18:47
Author: EL3600

dcfbalcoS1 Wrote:
>        Many businesses are being mis managed
> that same way these days. Its all in the numbers
> by the accounting degree college kid mentality
> with the out of control ego. Keep working the
> numbers until he or she sees what they think is
> nervanna. Labor is always considered to be the
> evil unnecessary part of the mix and must be
> disposed of. Anyway, they were told they can
> always hire people at a dime a dozen when ever
> they need them. The slash and burn technique was
> used at Halliburton about every ten years.

Absolutely correct. The old saying in the oil field was: "Oil field service companies were created because even the oil companies would never mistreat their employees that badly."  Been there, done that.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/18 18:51 by EL3600.

Date: 06/25/18 07:26
Author: bluesboyst

OldHeadRailroader Wrote:
> What a way to run a railroad. The Harrison
> Libertarian slash and burn hatchet man vulture
> capitaliat way never works effectively, other than
> to line his/Hunterbot cronies pockets full of
> gold. He made hundreds of millions off of many
> thousands of employees he fired, furloughed and
> crafts abolished, throughout his 50+ year career.
> The man who refused to go away because of a large
> ego and controlling personality, now dead!
>
> Posted from Android

GOOD.....

Date: 06/25/18 09:24
Author: ns1000

bluesboyst Wrote:
> OldHeadRailroader Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > What a way to run a railroad. The Harrison
> > Libertarian slash and burn hatchet man vulture
> > capitaliat way never works effectively, other
> than
> > to line his/Hunterbot cronies pockets full of
> > gold. He made hundreds of millions off of many
> > thousands of employees he fired, furloughed and
> > crafts abolished, throughout his 50+ year
> career.
> > The man who refused to go away because of a
> large
> > ego and controlling personality, now dead!
> >
> > Posted from Android
>
> GOOD.....

Is this comment necessary...??!!??

The truth is in Corporate America someone else will just take his place.....

Date: 06/25/18 12:38
Author: Lackawanna484

If workers do not own a significant share of the company, they are just hired help. To be kicked to the curb when management decides to do so. If they have significant representation at the board table with voting shares, would management p*** all over them?  Mantle Ridge took control of CSX with what, 2% of the shares of the company?  Consider if employees as a group owned 15% or 20%.  No way Mantle Ridge would have had the deal and payouts it got.

There's a reason why management plays the long game, harvesting the annual gains from long ago give backs. Like cabooses, clerks, block operators and lever men, shorter dispatch districts, the list goes on and on.  Giving themselves options, and giving the employees dimes and quarters.

Date: 06/25/18 17:59
Author: NYC6001

I think that even more importantly, the shippers should buy a place at the table. Labor and shippers are actually more closely aligned than one might think. Good service takes man hours.

The UTU and BLE truly gave heavy concessions over the years, but that process was gradual, and unions made the best deal they could at the time. Unfortunately, levermen and cabooses, clerks and firemen went the way of the buggy whip makers. If a company is employee owned, it is difficult to make those changes when the time has glaringly come.

But it takes enlightened management to see the benefit of calling extra help and extra trains when needed, and not stabbing the poor soul in the back who spent the money or made the call.

Date: 06/26/18 19:25
Author: Englewood

gbmott Wrote:

> C'mon, give it a rest.  The man's dead.  These
> rants don't contribute anything.
>
> Gordon

A little off topic but it reminds me of a story I once heard on talk radio.

A much despised Hollywood producer had passed away.
One of the people he had severely mistreated took to calling the late producer's home about
once a week to ask for the producer.  The widow would explain that Mr. So and So had passed away.
After a few weeks the widow caught on that it was the same caller.  She asked "Why do you keep calling?
Every time you call I tell you that my husband has passed away.  Don't you understand?"
The caller replied " I understand quite clearly,  I just like hearing you say that he has passed away."

I am sure some of EHH's victims can relate to the story.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0744 seconds