Home Open Account Help 393 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Becoming a conductor on CSX NS

Date: 08/07/18 14:12
Becoming a conductor on CSX NS
Author: Lackawanna484

What's involved with becoming a conductor on CSX etc? The website gives good background on time demands, ability to carry 83 pound weight, read and understand technical instructions, etc.

But, from the time somebody goes to an open house to school to supervised on-site, how much time is involved? 90 days? Six months, etc?

Posted from Android

Date: 08/07/18 15:02
Re: Becoming a conductor on CSX NS
Author: OldHeadRailroader

Don't do it!

Posted from Android

Date: 08/07/18 16:09
Author: mully

OldHeadRailroader Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Don't do it!
>
> Posted from Android

Why ? The person is interested in a career. Better than a lot of dead beats around. Yes the job may come with layoffs but anymore any job might.

Gary

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/07/18 17:05
Author: Dewman45

For Norfolk Southern
1st You go to a interview session that is around 5 hours they tell you about the company and what the job is like.
2nd You you are interviewed
3rd If they hire you they put you on a list for school which may be 2 weeks or up to 6 months (so if you get the job don't quit the job you have now)they will give you plenty of time to tell your job that you are quiting.
4th They send you McDuff, GA for school to be a conductor for 3 weeks. (They pay you one round trip from the city you live in $30 a day for food M-F weekends you are on your own for food and the put you up in a hotel room with some one. (If you would like to be by your self you have to pay) and $800 a week.)
5th 6 months of on the job training at the city you where hired at.
The job is 6 8-12 hour days on then 2 off you may get home and 4 hours later call you in for work which you have 90-120 minutes to get to work if you are late 3 times on your 4th they won't write you up they just let you go. If you are a new be most likely you will be working on holidays. Safety is first. Ou says DO NOT SAY THAT YOU LIKE TRAINS THAT IS A BIG NO NO TO THE RAILROAD'S.

Posted from Android

Date: 08/07/18 17:47
Author: irhoghead

If you really want to go railroading, consider applying for the Assistant Conductor positions at Amtrak. Much better lifestyle.

Date: 08/07/18 18:21
Author: Totallamer

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
> What's involved with becoming a conductor on CSX
> etc? The website gives good background on time
> demands, ability to carry 83 pound weight, read
> and understand technical instructions, etc.
>
> But, from the time somebody goes to an open house
> to school to supervised on-site, how much time is
> involved? 90 days? Six months, etc?
>
> Posted from Android

Time depends on the size of the terminal.  Larger terminal = more jobs to learn = more time from leaving "classroom" training to marking up.

Date: 08/07/18 18:21

Thanks for the info.

I'm still surprised by how casually the companies treat people who should become their biggest assets.

Staffing and retention has always been a weak point in many firms.

Posted from Android

Date: 08/07/18 18:33
Author: NSTopHat

Dewman45 Wrote:
> For Norfolk Southern
> 1st You go to a interview session that is around 5
> hours they tell you about the company and what the
> job is like.
> 2nd You you are interviewed
> 3rd If they hire you they put you on a list for
> school which may be 2 weeks or up to 6 months (so
> if you get the job don't quit the job you have
> now)they will give you plenty of time to tell your
> job that you are quiting.
> 4th They send you McDuff, GA for school to be a
> conductor for 3 weeks. (They pay you one round
> trip from the city you live in $30 a day for food
> M-F weekends you are on your own for food and the
> put you up in a hotel room with some one. (If you
> would like to be by your self you have to pay) and
> $800 a week.)
> 5th 6 months of on the job training at the city
> you where hired at.
> The job is 6 8-12 hour days on then 2 off you may
> get home and 4 hours later call you in for work
> which you have 90-120 minutes to get to work if
> you are late 3 times on your 4th they won't write
> you up they just let you go. If you are a new be
> most likely you will be working on holidays.
> Safety is first. Ou says DO NOT SAY THAT YOU LIKE
> TRAINS THAT IS A BIG NO NO TO THE RAILROAD'S.
>
> Posted from Android

McDonough, GA, which is ~30 miles south of Atlanta, towards, Macon. Not McDuff.

Russ

Date: 08/07/18 18:35

Because they're a bad employer to work for, they look to fire for the most minor rule infractions, and you will be on the extra board with no life for many years, if not decades! Try a regional Class 2 or commuter railroad. I have 24 years paid into RRB, most of it on the extra board! Would I do it again? Hell no! Be prepared to sacrifice your entire life for decades, the railroad owns your soul in TY&E.

Posted from Android

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/18 18:37 by OldHeadRailroader.

Date: 08/07/18 18:40
Author: mully

OldHeadRailroader Wrote:
> Because they're a bad employer to work for, they
> look to fire for the most minor rule infractions,
> and you will be on the extra board with no life
> for many years, if not decades! Try a regional
> Class 2 or commuter railroad.
>
> Posted from Android

Many years ago I interviewed for a railroad and was told I would be on extra list and if I was under two years service and laid off I would start back at zero. Also if a protected employee was below me on the list they could jump over me so I might never go out

Might be a shock to you but it was NOT
CSX !!!

Gary

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/07/18 19:07

A shock to whom? It was no different on 2 Class 1s I worked on. Laidoff when a new hire, setback as newhire Engineer, working off the Brakemans extra board, forced out of my home terminal for weeks and months. Worked many nights and weekends off the extra board, I LIVED it for 24 years, Mr. Gary. All Class 1s are the same. My comments regarding CSX had to do only with the current corporate Fascist cuthroat regime in charge, the same one I endured for years at CN! BNSF is the best Class 1 to work for, I know I worked there when it was BN. In the 90s, we had NO assigned off days on the extra, no personal days, a 7-0 schedule on call, so you're preaching to the choir, guy. Now, they have liberal layoff agreement up to something like 6-8 days off per month they can layoff, we had NOTHING 20+ years ago when I worked there...

Posted from Android

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/18 19:22 by OldHeadRailroader.

Date: 08/07/18 19:35
Author: Chessie

Not sure who (if anyone) is letting anyone lay off "6-8" days per month, unless you're counting scheduled rest days and/or RSIA mandated rest.  My employer will quickly put a bullseye on my back if I lay off more than one day every 60 days. 

Date: 08/07/18 20:45

BNSF allows for it. Lackawanna, go to RRB.gov for job openings. NYSW, WNYP, Iowa Interstate, MRL, Iowa Northern, Delmarva Central, Allegheny Central, Amtrak, Progressive Rail, G&W, Burlington Junction RR, etc. all hiring. Forget about Class 1s unless you're willing to give up life as you know it to be a 24/7 on call extra board slave fatigied all the time from working endless 12 hour days, nights, no set work schedule, etc. Also, if you decide do it, listen to your old heads. If they tell you to do something, do as they say and do not act like a know it all railfan. Be humble, work hard and safely, and you will slowly gain acceptence, respect and friends amomg coworkers. BNSF is the best Class 1 to work for, CSX the worst.
https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,141713

Posted from Android

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/18 00:16 by OldHeadRailroader.

Date: 08/08/18 05:40
Author: NYC6001

The most important things I tell a prospect are: 1. No colorblindness. 2.  No cannabis in your system for at lest 100 days. 3. Follow instructions and don't make a fool of yourself. You aren't there to impress anybody with your uniqueness. 4. You will take a personality test. Answer the personality test like you were going to work for the Secret Service - no to risk taking, yes to having a good reputation, etc. 5. Brush up on your math, like fractions, decimals, etc. in case that is part of the interview 6. Brush up on your reading comprehension. That means read something other than the internet for awhile. 7. If you enjoy drinking, golfing, fishing, etc. you will find you have no more time for it. If your spouse needs to plan things to include you, you will be divorced. Think about that. Better to hire out in a different department, or take a promotion to yardmaster or dispatcher when you can.

The basic rate of pay is about $31 dollars per hour. New hires start at 80% of that for about 2 years, after the training period, and advance yearly to 100%. Keep in mind that with overmiles, overtime, and manpower needs, your bi-weekly pay will vary considerably, and some weeks can be very lean when you are new.

The money and stability depend largely upon where and when you hire out, which nobody can predict. If you are lucky, you will hire out at the beginning of a hiring spurt, in a place where you are truly needed. That is always dicey. Overhiring is the biggest mistake CSX and NS make, and it is why so many quit. That is a simple fact that HR will never recognize. If you are going to live on call, you want to be needed. The situation alluded to above, where a senior man can jump around you in calling order does not exist anymore, fortunately. However, payroll controls the number of spots on the various pools and boards, and they don't care what type of promise HR made to you, so be prepared for a layoff or two in your first few years. And if you are furloughed, don't tell your temporary employer you still work for the RR. They know you will go back.

If you want to take drags over the mountains, then hire out where there are mountains. If you want to work in the plains and hit 60 MPH on intermodals, hire out there. If you want an urban environment, go there. It is difficult to transfer around later. CSX's seniority districts are roughly divided by the Mason-Dixon Line.You can move around (with difficulty) within the North or the South, but not from North to South, or vice-versa, except on temporary transfers. I don't know about NS in that regard.

As for getting arbitrarily fired for rules infractions, it is possible. All that depends on the flavor of the year. Have a good attitude and work efficiently, and you will likely be OK. Study to keep up on what the rules really say, not simply what you are told. The rules change all the time, and some guys still try to apply Conrail rules, for gosh sakes. There are differences. Know your craft,  be professional, don't brown nose, and don't snitch. Mind your business and do your best, like any other job. Be willing to to make that extra move in the yard, and get your train over the road. Don't drag your feet, or be in a constant hurry. If confronted by an angry, stressed out official, keep your cool.

Stay healthy and get out of your hotel room when you can. Use the workout room if they have one.

I agree with the post that said think about trying Amtrak, but if you want to do this, or know somebody who really does, then give Class1 railroading a try. you will see all kinds of things and learn something new all the time. Retirees are getting about $3900/mo. btw. The work environment is what you make out of it, and most of us have to work at something, after all.

Date: 08/08/18 06:02
Author: wmfan3798

Keep in mind also that there’s plenty of departments on a railroad, not just T&E. There’s 10 years between my oldest brother and myself, I had plenty of time to watch him jump through all the hoops and nonsense dealing with the extra board. I hired on in the car department, 40 hour weeks, set schedule, & was able to watch my kids grow up. 

ernie

Date: 08/08/18 06:05
Author: Foamductor

NYC6001 Wrote:
> The most important things I tell a prospect are:
> 1. No colorblindness. 2.  No cannabis in your
> system for at lest 100 days. 3. Follow
> instructions and don't make a fool of yourself.
> You aren't there to impress anybody with your
> uniqueness. 4. You will take a personality test.
> Answer the personality test like you were going to
> work for the Secret Service - no to risk taking,
> yes to having a good reputation, etc. 5. Brush up
> on your math, like fractions, decimals, etc. in
> case that is part of the interview 6. Brush up on
> your reading comprehension. That means read
> something other than the internet for awhile. 7.
> If you enjoy drinking, golfing, fishing, etc. you
> will find you have no more time for it. If your
> spouse needs to plan things to include you, you
> will be divorced. Think about that. Better to hire
> out in a different department, or take a promotion
> to yardmaster or dispatcher when you can.
>
> The basic rate of pay is about $31 dollars per
> hour. New hires start at 80% of that for about 2
> years, after the training period, and advance
> yearly to 100%. Keep in mind that with overmiles,
> overtime, and manpower needs, your bi-weekly pay
> will vary considerably, and some weeks can be very
> lean when you are new.
>
> The money and stability depend largely upon where
> and when you hire out, which nobody can predict.
> If you are lucky, you will hire out at the
> beginning of a hiring spurt, in a place where you
> are truly needed. That is always dicey. Overhiring
> is the biggest mistake CSX and NS make, and it is
> why so many quit. That is a simple fact that HR
> will never recognize. If you are going to live on
> call, you want to be needed. The situation alluded
> to above, where a senior man can jump around you
> in calling order does not exist anymore,
> fortunately. However, payroll controls the number
> of spots on the various pools and boards, and they
> don't care what type of promise HR made to you, so
> be prepared for a layoff or two in your first few
> years. And if you are furloughed, don't tell your
> temporary employer you still work for the RR. They
> know you will go back.
>
> If you want to take drags over the mountains, then
> hire out where there are mountains. If you want to
> work in the plains and hit 60 MPH on intermodals,
> hire out there. If you want an urban environment,
> go there. It is difficult to transfer around
> later. CSX's seniority districts are roughly
> divided by the Mason-Dixon Line.You can move
> around (with difficulty) within the North or the
> South, but not from North to South, or vice-versa,
> except on temporary transfers. I don't know about
> NS in that regard.
>
> As for getting arbitrarily fired for rules
> infractions, it is possible. All that depends on
> the flavor of the year. Have a good attitude and
> work efficiently, and you will likely be OK. Study
> to keep up on what the rules really say, not
> simply what you are told. The rules change all the
> time, and some guys still try to apply Conrail
> rules, for gosh sakes. There are
> differences. Know your craft,  be professional,
> don't brown nose, and don't snitch. Mind your
> business and do your best, like any other job. Be
> willing to to make that extra move in the yard,
> and get your train over the road. Don't drag your
> feet, or be in a constant hurry. If confronted by
> an angry, stressed out official, keep your cool.
>
> Stay healthy and get out of your hotel room when
> you can. Use the workout room if they have one.
>
> I agree with the post that said think about trying
> Amtrak, but if you want to do this, or know
> somebody who really does, then give Class1
> railroading a try. you will see all kinds of
> things and learn something new all the time.
> Retirees are getting about $3900/mo. btw. The work
> environment is what you make out of it, and most
> of us have to work at something, after all.
>
>  

As another class one railroader with some time under his belt, what NYC6001 says is basically spot on.

NS currently has more seniority districts than CSX does. However most of the railroad is covered by the Southern seniority which even goes into some Conrail territories. Up north there are also the Wabash and Nickle Plate seniority districts. Wabash covers most of the former Wabash railroad, and NKP covers NKP + many of the ex CR terminals in Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois. I'm not really sure what the total situation is down south, but I know most of it is covered under Southern.

You can move around in your own senority district basically at will. (You will need to be qualified on the job you go to, which has some complications) But you can not go from one senority district to another without forfiting your senority on the district you left and starting out on the bottom on the district you're going too. Not worth it unless you are very young in senority and the long term prospects of where you are arent all that good. IMHO.

Date: 08/08/18 06:42

Great thread, thanks for sharing it.   Probably should be pinned as a Frequently Asked Question for folks contemplating entering the industry.

I was surprised that both CSX and NS report being short of crews as an excuse for why some trains are being held / cancelled.  I know they've issued recalls of furloughed guys, and a lot of them have moved on, away from the railroad.  But, just hiring more people, training them for months, and laying them off at the first hiccup in business sounds like an inherently bad business practice.

(In my old firm, we treated a new hire as a $40,000 - $80,000 investment  in time and money, depending on the job.  If the person didn't work out, or was asked to leave, we were out that investment. We, as in the principals, were out that money. 

The railroads' casual treatment of their employees still amazes me. Even though I should know better by now.)

Date: 08/08/18 10:00
Author: espeefan

I can't speak for other railroads but stay away from CSX. They need help now because they don't know how to treat people! Historically during the summer months they've always needed extra workers to cover for people on vacations. Then between Thanksgiving and New Years they furlough the people they hired during the summer. Then try and call them back the next year just to cover for vacations again. There's entirely too much uncertainty with the people at the top!!
Personally I would look to other railroads to hire on.

Posted from Android

Date: 08/08/18 21:02
Author: NYC6001

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
> Great thread, thanks for sharing it.   Probably
> should be pinned as a Frequently Asked Question
> for folks contemplating entering the industry.
>
> I was surprised that both CSX and NS report being
> short of crews as an excuse for why some trains
> are being held / cancelled.  I know they've
> issued recalls of furloughed guys, and a lot of
> them have moved on, away from the railroad.  But,
> just hiring more people, training them for months,
> and laying them off at the first hiccup in
> business sounds like an inherently bad business
> practice.
>
> (In my old firm, we treated a new hire as a
> $40,000 - $80,000 investment  in time and money,
> depending on the job.  If the person didn't work
> out, or was asked to leave, we were out that
> investment. We, as in the principals, were out
> that money. 
>
> The railroads' casual treatment of their employees
> still amazes me. Even though I should know better
> by now.)

I think it is a simple matter of silos. One silo sees paying guarantee to the extraboard as a complete waste, and they are responsible for that budget, so they wait a week or so, then jettison all the guys that are excess at that particular moment. To heck with the consequences and all the time and money invested. But he fact is that many of them should have never been hired. Another dept. in its own silo thinks it's ok to hire that way. That's just my humble read on things.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1991 seconds