Home Open Account Help 283 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Fremont, OH Questions

Date: 08/12/18 18:13
Fremont, OH Questions
Author: PRR_4859

Good Evening:

How many trains per day does NS run through Fremont, OH? Are any of them intermodal trains? Is the line equipped with CTC? lastly, what is the maximum authorized speed on this line?

Thank you in advance.

Date: 08/12/18 18:43
Re: Fremont, OH Questions
Author: halfmoonharold

CTC was installed by the W&LE in the late 1940's. I don't know the train count offhand, but it's pretty busy. There is a paired arrangement where most westbound traffic runs north via Sandusky, OH, and the former W&LE is mainly an eastbound railroad. I don't think the intermodal trains run through Fremont normally, but anything's possible. 

Date: 08/12/18 18:58
Author: toledopatch

halfmoonharold Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> CTC was installed by the W&LE in the late 1940's.
> I don't know the train count offhand, but it's
> pretty busy. There is a paired arrangement where
> most westbound traffic runs north via Sandusky,
> OH, and the former W&LE is mainly an eastbound
> railroad. I don't think the intermodal trains run
> through Fremont normally, but anything's
> possible. 

I believe the only intermodal train that regularly uses the Toledo District is 26N, normally an evening train.

The only westbounds that reliably run this line, besides locals, are NS #343 and Wheeling #223. Others run this way as required, including anything that ties down in Klines Yard (Bellevue) awaiting a fresh crew.

Date: 08/13/18 08:15
Author: NKP-875

The Toledo District had a maximum speed of 50 MPH, with a 30/35 MPH (splitting at MP 37.6 acccount different curve ratings) thru Fremont when I retired, a few years back.  The curves at Clyde, OH required a 30 MPH restriction thru that burgh, about 8 miles to the east. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0339 seconds