Home Open Account Help 389 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > GA fire in old SRR office bldg downtown ATL.

Date: 08/16/18 12:53
GA fire in old SRR office bldg downtown ATL.
Author: elu34ch

Date: 08/16/18 13:11
Re: GA fire in old SRR office bldg downtown ATL.
Author: ctillnc

The modern building on the other side of Mitchell St from the leftmost NS building is the 26-floor Richard Russell Federal Building, where Terminal Station once was. The remnant of one passenger platform is often visible in the bottom of the frame. Ted Turner Dr is what used to be Spring St. I assume the microwave antennas on top of the leftmost NS building are no longer in use. 

Date: 08/16/18 14:52
Author: arelpy

That's "the 99 Building" - at 99 Spring Street SW. 
The other building is "the 125 Building" - which is the larger and newer of the two ex-SOU buildings, and located to the south of the 99.
Terminal Station was to the immediate north of the 99 Building; the station site is now occupied by the Richard B. Russell Federal Building.

Date: 08/16/18 15:30
Author: halfmoonharold

Does anyone know which building housed the old call office, and the GA Division dispatch center? I was in those places once, years ago.

Date: 08/16/18 18:38
Author: Mojacket

At one point, those were in the 185 building. The newest one not seen, it was red brick. 

Date: 08/17/18 06:03

185 was built around 1980. Don't know whether NS is still in it. The 175 building next door, also brick, goes back to the 1930s and was not originally owned by Southern.

And for those of you not familiar with Atlanta, yes, putting "SE" or "NW" behind the street name really is necessary sometime. 185 Ted Turner Dr SW (or in the old days 185 Spring St SW) is different from 185 Ted Turner Dr NW, the alternate address for the Westin Peachtree Plaza.

Date: 08/17/18 10:10
Author: arelpy

ctillnc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 185 was built around 1980. Don't know whether NS is still in it.  
>
> The 175 building next door, also brick, goes back to the 1930s and was not originally owned by Southern.
>
> And for those of you not familiar with Atlanta, yes, putting "SE" or "NW" behind the street name
> really is necessary sometime. 185 Ted Turner Dr SW (or in the old days 185 Spring St SW) is different
> from 185 Ted Turner Dr NW, the alternate address for the Westin Peachtree Plaza.

NS vacated all four buildings (99, 125, 175, 185) several years ago, when the offices moved 3 miles north to the former AT&T Building on Peachtree, near 14th.
185 was built as a 3 story building.  I understand that the 4th, 5th, and 6th floors were added at about the time of the NS merger.
6th floor had the General Managers' offices.  5th floor was the NCSC, when it was set up around '92 or so.  4th floor had IE & OR, among others.
3rd had Transportation Planning, Operations, Service Design, etc.  I don't recall who was on the 2nd floor... I think the Clearance Bureau was one of the groups there.
First floor was Intermodal Operations, System Road Foremen, and Sales & Marketing (both Atlanta District and Southeast Regional for carload, Intermodal (both local and regional offices), as well as the Atlanta Coal Sales Mgr.)

The 175 building (during NS ownership) had the company Print Shop on the main floor; they printed all the track charts, employee timetables, rulebooks, etc.  (But the big color calendars were printed by Progress Press in Roanoke - now named Chocklett press.)  NS company archives were on the 3rd or 4th floor. 

I believe that the 125 building was mostly Accounting, and that 99 Building was mostly Engineering.  
The 99 was the oldest buiding. It was built as an office building, and was still pretty ornate inside.
The 125 was next; it was built as a warehouse.  So the office layout was open and spacious - but very plain inside.
But they were both old buildings, and hard to maintain.  Lots of complaints about the plumbing and climate control in the later days.

Date: 08/17/18 10:47

The "new" NS building at 1200 P'tree near 14th (Promenade One) was built in 1981 for AT&T, who stayed there until 2004. Eventually NS bought it. For a while Midtown had a glut of space because of the AT&T/BellSouth and bank consolidations. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.053 seconds